Pointing advice please

Sponsored Links
Yes, and after one or two winters. :rolleyes:

Not even onto the pointing stage yet ast the cleaning of tge brickwork is a job in its self.got lads cleaning last of it today and tomorrow.am going to try match the mortar tomorrow.what do you think would be the correct dye and sand to make an almost orange mortar ?
From past experience building sand lime and mortar with a red dye will never make an orangey colour,would a yellow sand and red dye be the way to go ?
I feel your distain woody ha,it is unpointable without damaging existing brick though believe me i would prefer to point

I suspect that red sand and red dye will make red. But yellow sand and red dye might make a lighter red, or even an orangy red.

You might need red and yellow dye though.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that red sand and red dye will make red. But yellow sand and red dye might make a lighter red, or even an orangy red.

You might need red and yellow dye though.

Spoke to a rep before as this was my idea but apparently it wont work.on the other hand she suggested a dark brown sand with yellow dye which will never make the colour needed

Ask the rep what colour you would get then if you mixed red and yellow dye

Ask the rep what colour you would get then if you mixed red and yellow dye

She said as the dye coats each particle of sand the particular colour of the dye it wont work which to be honest i didnt get but i wasnt getting anywhere.i get the fact if i use a dark sand and add cement it would be hard to make the coulor.but surely if i used a light sand,mixed red and yellow together and make a tone with water and add it,it would work,hence making my own liquid mortar tone.
I didnt get anywhere with the suggestion but didnt get much advice other than brown sand and yellow dye.
I can get close with building sand and red dye but not as close as id be happy with

Remember that the maximum size of the sand particles should be roughly 1/3 of the joint size for the pointing to be effective, so you need to pick the correct sand.

Remember that the maximum size of the sand particles should be roughly 1/3 of the joint size for the pointing to be effective, so you need to pick the correct sand.

A fine sand is the only option with the brick pattern anyway.it has been patched in places not too long ago tbh ive got a far better match than what they have used now but still nothing near what id put my name to.its the colour more than the consistency thats problematic but its just a case of trial and error,in unseen areas of the building

Are you using lime mortar or cement mortar? The smaller the sand particle size the more binder you need to cover each particle.
When doing rubbed brickwork with small joints of 3mm or less silver sand/lime, lime putty or for the really fine joints white lead and shellac was used.
Can't understand why they don't want tuckpointers used. Not the cheap finger trowels from the USA, but the proper more expensive ones.
You can get them as thin as 1mm.

Lime mortar.theyre not tuck pointing it because they are only pointing in certain areas not a full hit on the building so it has to match in with the rest of the building

Didn't mean tuck point as with frenchman and straight edge, just fill the joints with the tuck pointer flush and next day hit it with the churn brush to expose the aggregate, which is normally done with lime pointing.
What type of lime of you using, hydraulic or non hydraulic?
Lime suppliers which usually do a colour match for you.
Bit of hassle with lime as it takes longer to go off, if you sponge over the brickwork it tends to bring a film of it back over the bricks from the joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back