Pointing hanging tiles around windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i'm vertical tiling the walls of my extension with redland plain tiles. i'm a bit unsure regarding pointing the edges of the tiles around my windows. i can't find any info online at all so i'm hoping one of you may know. is it best to lay a tile put some mortar on top of it and fit the next tile on top and scrape off excess (like i did the verges on the roof) or is it best to lay them all and point them up afterwards?

any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance

roly

Sponsored Links
oh i see. trouble is the rest of the house which is about 60 years old have them mortered in at the edges so i want to match in with the rest of the house.

On old buildings certainly in the south of the country it isn't uncommon to finish against windows with mortar either neatly pointed or even flushed up.
Pointing neatly is more tricky than the verge on your roof.
How is the existing finished

Sponsored Links
hi, thanks for the reply

yes you're right i'm in sussex and although the house was only built in 1958 its built like an old sussex style house.

the sides of the existing windows have the mortar flush with the edges of the tiles, but the edges of the tiles visible, and look almost like the verges on the roof look.

i've cut the battens a bit shorter on the sides so they don't touch the mortar, but was unsure if i should put some pug on the tile below and push the tile down onto the pug and scrape off excess or if i should lay them all and point it up after. i'm assuming it would be better to pug as i go? although i'm a bit concerned of making a mess, i suppose a stiffish mix would be best?

yes stiff sticky mortar , just be careful and don't rush. its trickier than your roof verge because of angles involved.
If you struggle you could keep the mortar slightly back and point it with a flat pointing iron a bit later.
Smudges on the tile edges can be cleaned up with a damp sponge.
Do the out of sight one first....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back