Pointing Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the pointing on the front of my house is crumbling away in places, so will be looking to rake out and re-point some of the small sections.

Its a 1930's cottage and I assume it is lime mortar.

As you can see from the pics it is quite light in colour.

Can anyone recommend a way of getting a decent match to the colour?

Was thinking of getting a pre-mix from here https://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/lime-mortar/hydraulic/nhl-5/flaxhead-pike/25kg.

Think this colour might be close? but not 100% sure. Any thoughts?

Thanks
James

IMG_9282.jpg
IMG_9280.jpg
IMG_9281.jpg
IMG_9317.jpg

Sponsored Links
I assume it's a cavity wall because it's stretcher course.

Unless you can find the exact sand and ratio of other materials to have made the mortar, good luck. You'll will just have to experiment with different sands etc.. Mix a cupful up and let it dry to see if it dries similar in colour.

And make sure when you test your sample, you do it on that same wall having raked a bit of the old stuff out, as the colour can vary depending on the pourosity of what it’s applied to

Sponsored Links

Ah thats perfect! Dont know how I didnt see that, thank you!

Perhaps you haven’t shown the bad bits, but I wouldn’t repoint that.

Just took photos of the good bits to try and get an idea of mortar mix, thought that would be better than pics of the missing pointing. There is just a few patches here and there that are crumbling away and I can break apart with my finger!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back