Pointing questions for a dummy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to the forum so be patient please.

I'm very new to DIY however I want to pursue doing things on my own instead of ringing for my dad all the time.

Basically I've moved into a 70s taylor wimpy house and on the external brick where it meets my neighbours extension I don't appear to have any mortar it's just an empty gap, I need to sort this however not sure where to begin.

I've attached an image of the problem - any tips and advice welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210824_190430.jpg
    20210824_190430.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Oh ok,

Doesn't look tied into the wall, so probably best to fill it up with a type of silicone

Should be an expansion gap containing foam strip and siliconed at perimeter .

Also if it's the neighbors extension they should be sorting it out if they deem it's required

https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Products/Expansion-joint-mastic-sealants

Fill the gap with one of the above.

Regards to pointing, you would ideally dig out to 25mm, there is various tools available to purchase to enable this.

You'll then need a trowel and a hawk board and plenty of time on YouTube and practicing on parts of the house your unlikely to see,

It's a fine art tbh.

You can buy mortar guns bit like the silicone guns you can buy, but they are hit and miss whether they work or not, and a plasticiser will be required.

Some say adding a plasticiser to the mix for pointing regardless of tool you are using is a good idea.

But it's all a skill that will only be learned by practicing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back