Pointing up and sealing Indian stone slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve seen a few products in the merchants and I’ve also seen some similar stuff failed at peoples houses.

Has anyone used a product that’s lasted well after a good time being down and after jetwashing?

Also thinking of using a wet look sealer if anyone could recommend one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Has anyone used a product that’s lasted well after a good time being down and after jetwashing?
Good old sand and cement.

You should not be jet washing the stones. Bass broom and fairy cleans them nicely.

Geofix (wet applied) is ok as long as you tool it in.

The dedicated Karcher patio scrubbers are brilliant. The clean superbly without the vicious water blast.

Geo-fix stone protector is ok gear but not sure whether it gives that wet-look shine.

We left our patio slabs raw.

Sponsored Links
I hadn’t thought of the patio attachments, good idea!!!

I might stick with the sand and cement and buy one of those instead.

You won't get your head around how good they are and why.
I was thinking of getting one of those but to be honest, I didn’t think it did too good a job in that video. Maybe the bloke has a low powered washer? I have a little K2 and according to the label, that gives out 100bar pressure. I’ve cleaned my drive and patio with it a few times but it is messy using the lance and takes a fair while to do it - a couple of hours at least. I always end up with a tingling hand for hours afterwards. I’m looking at buying a new full kit - the K4 full control home and car model. That has a car brush, foam gun and the T350 head and gives out 130 bar pressure. Don’t mind paying for it if it all works but I’ll be pretty ****ed if it’s no better than the one I’ve got. Any comments on that model?

I was thinking of getting one of those but to be honest, I didn’t think it did too good a job in that video
I still cant get my head around how well the clean and why. They are brilliant and I don't impress easily.

Would the pros point slabs up with a wet mix; or dry mix swept in and wet after? PS, what ratio mix? Ta,
Swept in lol. I blame crummy TV shows for that.

The proper way is to butter the edges as you lay, by teasing the bedding mortar against the edges of the recipient slabs. Like bricklaying. This way the pointed material is connected to the bedding material and is solid. You then run a jointing iron over the joints and brush it off.

I've only recently turned to using (wet applied) Geofix etc. Its good gear if used properly.

I always use sand and cement , have repointed a few for friends that had used resin that came loose after using pressure washer too much.
Noseall most people just brush resin in and think job done,and don't do what you do, Geofix has a bad reputation on pavingexpert.com, surprised you get on with it,how long do you reckon it lasts before needing repointing, my oldest s+c i still see is over 20 years.
I use a bent plastering hawk and force mortar in using finger trowels,and also use a mix slightly wetter than damp.and don't buy a pointing gun useless.
Make your own using old aluminium hawk.
13-401-B.jpg

I took up and relaid one small stone yesterday as it was loose. I found some sharp sand and some cement dust in my garage that must have been two years old at least. I mixed it approximately 2:1. All I could find to apply the wet mix was a rubber edged grouting tool, feeding the mix in from a plastic dustpan. It did the job but I must say I’m not proud of my achievement. Really, the whole lot needs to come up and be relaid and repointed as I’m pretty sure they are not bedded in as some sound hollow when tapped. A mate laid them for me, no charge, about 5 years ago while I was recovering from my hernia op. Still, it’s stopped the wife moaning for a while about that stone "that’s going to trip someone up". (y)

Swept in lol. I blame crummy TV shows for that.

The proper way is to butter the edges as you lay, by teasing the bedding mortar against the edges of the recipient slabs. Like bricklaying. This way the pointed material is connected to the bedding material and is solid. You then run a jointing iron over the joints and brush it off.

I've only recently turned to using (wet applied) Geofix etc. Its good gear if used properly.

Fair dos, but mine are already down and needing a bit of tlc. So, I take it wet sand and cement, trowelled in and tooled after? What will be a good mix? 3:1? Ta.

It's just like pointing a wall. Only difference is the type of sand, everything else is the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back