Pond Liner Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks ,
I am about to start work on constructing a two tier pond in my garden .
When I fit my pump and filter , I`m thinking I`ll have to run a hose from one level to the other . Is it common practice to cut holes in the liner , so as to run the pipe under the surface and hide it . If so , do I need to buy some sort of kit to make sure the seal is water-tight . I contacted a pump supplier , and he said this wouldnt be supplied with the pump .

Thanks , Colin .

Sponsored Links
Don't cut a hole in the liner.

If it's a two tier pond then you could have a rockery/water fall hiding any pipe work.

That's what I done.

Andy

Hi colin H, we have a tiered pond in our garden and as HD says just hide pipework under a rockery or even bury it...but don't forget to remember where it is if it snakes up a garden.
We have never been too impressed with 'bought' filters and use natural filtration, we have two deep small ponds filled with large bristle brushes and just use a pump to circulate water, it has been very successful and has survived for quite some years, we have some very nice large koi, and are constantly having to give small fish way...goldfish and rudd, we have probably given hundreds way so obviously the system works well.

Good luck with your pond...just the right time of the year to set it up.

Thanks for your reply`s folks . It isnt a good idea to run the pipes through the liner then ?

In that case will it have to go over the side ? I was hoping to avoid this , as were going for quite a formal design with no rocks planned ect .

Any other ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Do you have loads of pipework to hide...maybe you could use pond plants...we have a huge gunnera ...it grows like a triffid.
If not you will just have to bury you pipework

If not you will just have to bury you pipework

Thanks Suzie - I`m thinking of just lillies rather than lots of plants for now . If the pipe is running up the side of the lower tier (which is rectangular) whats the best way to hide it as it comes over the top . Would you put it in the corner and tuck it under the folds of the liner for example . Thanks again :)

Yes just tuck it under ...to be honest its difficult to have absolutely no pipework at all showing ...there is always that really annoying bit that just wont 'hide' :)
Will add a pic of our pond to my profile tomorrow...you can have a look if you would like to.

Edit: Have put them on.

Thanks for that , Suzie . Very nice pond too . Ours will be a lot different , though - it`ll be incorporated into our decking area and a lot more formal than yours . I`ll make sure to leave space , so I can add plants once things get established .

Thanks again :)

Personally I hate to see pipework passing over the edge of the pond or exposed liner.

You can buy fittings to take the hose through the liner but they are best fitted to a part of the liner that is not being stretched in any way. By the sounds of it you are having a formal rectangular pond so the liner will end up being folded at the corners so that will not stretch it much unless you are using a box welded liner wwhich again won't be stretched.

J

Could you reccomend the type of fittings I`d need ? Bearing in mind the hole will be passing through the lower tier liner , the retaining wall , and the top level liner :)

I would use two flanged connectors with a length of pipe between.

If when building your wall you build in the length of PVC pipe and glue a flanged fitting to each end so the flanges afe flush with teh faces of your wall. Then install the liner and just before the water level reaches the flange, cut the hole apply sealant and then screw on the other part of the flange to trap the liner between, repeat for the other pond.

Flange fitting and sealant.

You should also watch out for the fact that when the pump is turned off water will want to run back down your pipe into the bottom pond so either use some pipework from the flange in teh upper pond and take it to just below water level so there is little drop in level or fit a non return valve after the pump.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back