Pond pump electrical supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to check a couple of things regarding electrical supply for a pond pump.

The plan is: standard plug connected to an internal socket >>> cable from plug through wall into external conduit >>> external switch >>> cable through conduit >>> pump

I believe the above is correct but just have a couple of queries...

RCD protection - we have an RCD switch in the consumer unit protecting all circuits. Is this sufficient? Or should the relevant circuit have dedicated RCD protection, or perhaps the plug that is to be used?

External switch - seems that a multi-outlet switchbox is normally used. Can we just use a standard external switch? Or perhaps it would still be advisable to use a switchbox to allow the possibility of any other outdoors electrics to be added to the switchbox in the future?

Sponsored Links
Want to check a couple of things regarding electrical supply for a pond pump.

The plan is: standard plug connected to an internal socket >>> cable from plug through wall into external conduit >>> external switch >>> cable through conduit >>> pump

I believe the above is correct
I believe it's disgusting - flex through a wall with a plug on the end is a horrible dont-give-a-toss bodge. Is this mess for your own disappointment, or that of a potential victim of your property development business?

RCD protection - we have an RCD switch in the consumer unit protecting all circuits. Is this sufficient? Or should the relevant circuit have dedicated RCD protection, or perhaps the plug that is to be used?
Not much point to having 2 RCDs in series.

External switch - seems that a multi-outlet switchbox is normally used. Can we just use a standard external switch?
Yes

Or perhaps it would still be advisable to use a switchbox to allow the possibility of any other outdoors electrics to be added to the switchbox in the future?

crystal_ball.jpg

But what would definitely be advisable would be the use of an electrician to do the job properly.

I believe it's disgusting - flex through a wall with a plug on the end is a horrible dont-give-a-toss bodge.

This is what is at my parents' house and as far as I am currently aware is not a problem. But as this is new territory for me I wanted to ask here.

Of course, it could be hardwired into the sockets circuit but could really do without the mess and work involved.

Are there any fundamental reasons that the approach is wrong (beyond being a "disgusting" shortcut). I'd like to understand why it would or could be an objective problem?

At this point I may not even bother with it. It's just that we have two small ponds connected by a waterfall and it would be nice to have that running.

Sponsored Links
I would assume the pond pump will run 24/7 and as BAS says a FCU would be a better option so it's not unplugged there was a move to use plugs to try and get around Part P Blagdon made a whole system but you live in England so there is no longer any benefit in using the pre-assembled plug in system.

You can get 10mA RCD units and that would offer extra protection to pond and also less likely to trip house and since the Plug in 10 mA RCD is far cheaper than any other type that would be a good reason for plug and socket but it is not required and in practice often both the 10mA and 30mA trip together anyway so personally I would not bother.

Outside electrics are always a problem there is always the question seal or vent. Where I can I will vent having a drain hole in items and protect from direct rain. Sealing often fails and when it warms up air escapes and when it cools water is drawn in. Filling with something helps I often use petroleum jelly.

Yes you can fit an external switch again something like a covered bird table is often the best approach so no direct rain.

Your reference to "a multi-outlet switchbox is normally used" is from the early Part P where gardens were classed as special location this is still the case in Wales but in England although you must follow Part P and in doing so also follow BS7671 you don't need to use the pre-assembled units any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back