Poor hot water pressure. Cant figure it out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow. Ever since we have lived in it the hot water pressure has been crap. Its so bad that it trickles out of the kitchen mixer tap until it eventually comes to a stop (after about 3-4 days use)
The main water tank is situated in the attic. (1st floor) and the immersion heater/tank is located in the downstairs cupboard (ground floor)
Can anyone shed some light on why the hot water is so poor. The cold water pressure is fine. I have checked that any stop cocks are fully open which they are. I have tried bleeding the pipework thinking that may be the cause but the hot water presure does not improve much.

Can anyone offer me any advice??

Obviously I can get a plumber to take a look but I would like to have a go myself first.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Raise the water tank or change the mixer for starters. Maybe supplies are unbalanced. :(

The bathroom taps hot water pressure are much better than the kitchen mixer. Even so the bathroom hot taps will run dry after a few weeks use. The kitchen Mixer tap will run dry within a week. I have noticed that when the hot water tap is turned on in the bathroom I can hear what sounds like water trickling through the pipe. This is what lead me to believe the system was suffering with an air lock but it keeps re-occuring.

The water tank in the loft cannot be raised any higher.

:(

Sponsored Links
what do you mean they run dry ?
the only way they can run dry if the cws tank is not filling quick enough

have you checked your cold water tank is filling up properly .this will feed the hot water cylinder.as for the cold side it could proberbly be fed of mains pressure. good way to tell is, if you can stop the water with your hand with a tap on. it would proberbly be tank fed.

I mean that eventually the pressure becomes so poor that the water just drips out!!

If I bleed the system then the water comes back through again but the pressure is the same as it was before. Poor

how do you bleed the system ?

have you any pics you can give us of the top of the cylinder pipework ?

have you checked your cold water tank is filling up properly .this will feed the hot water cylinder.as for the cold side it could proberbly be fed of mains pressure. good way to tell is, if you can stop the water with your hand with a tap on. it would proberbly be tank fed.

How will I know if there is a problem with the cold tank filling up?

now youv lost me,next youll be telling me you bleed it through the rads :confused:

is the kitchen sink a lever tap ( 1/2 a turn from off to full on ) if so its a ceramic disc tap, and you will experiance poor flow rates due to the poor head of water you have in the bungalow.

how exactly do you 'bleed' the system ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back