poor result with Unibond Tile on Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done quite a bit of floor tiling in my time, always successfully but I've just had a complete disaster with Unibond Tile on Walls. I'd done the floor, using BAL, which doesn't require you to prep ply before tiling. There was a bit of boxing in of the pipes, to do, too and as I wanted to use wall tiles I bought this Unibond Tile on Walls Advanced All purpose adhesive. My first attempt resulted in the tiles falling off shortly after laying. Unibond told me that it was because I hadn't prepped the ply with solvent-based primer and so the ply had sucked the paste dry. That was true (I was still in BAL mode). So, at my next attempt, I prepped the ply and soaked the tile, too. Having left it for a day, I had a look at it and while it had stuck better than before, the cement had cracked at the bottom and the tile moved when pushed. I pulled the tile off. This time, it was clear that the problem wasn't the ply sucking the cement dry because the middle was still wet. I am at a loss. Perhaps I need flexible cement - I don't know. I'd really appreciate any help.
Btw, I should have mentioned that the tiles are quite thick for wall tiles (1 cm approx). They claim to be ceramic but the back is terracotta-coloured. They're cheap, from Hombase.

Sponsored Links
It's OK, folks. I have (I hope) solved my own problem now. First, I experimented with one tile and the BAL adhesive I'd used for the floor. It stuck and no cracks 24 hours later. Then I went down to my nearest tile retailer (not one of the sheds) and the guy behind the counter slapped down a small tub of BAL tile cement, which I've now used and it's fine. You can tell the difference as soon as you open the tub. It's sticky and it goes on like a dream. I think the bottom line here is that if you have perfect conditions, by all means use the diy stuff, but there has to be a reason why BAL's more expensive. It's good and it can cope with things that the cheap stuff can't.

I won't use (or be forced to use) anything but BAL although I'm sure there are other trade products just as good; ya gets what ya pays for with this stuff. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back