Poor roof slating. Help & advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
over a year ago we had a large amount of work carried out on our house which consisted of the a new dormer roof on the rear matching the exisiting one on the front. We used a ‘builder’ that was recomended to us by a friend to do the work.

What we didnt know was this guy attempted to carry out all the works by himself where we thought he would be bringing trades people in.

One of the jobs was to re-tile the roof front and back.

He tiled the back but got in proffesional roofer to do the front. The front looks fine but the rear is shocking. Various tiles have lifted up and just looks poorly done. The lead work is awful too.

I have contacted the guy about sorting the rear of the roof and he sent the roofer round who did the front. The roofer wants £1000 to put right.

Obviously im not prepared to pay for something that should of been done right to start with. I have tried contacting the builder again but he is not responding, even though he is reading my messages.

Whats the next step i should take? We never had a contract and didnt even think about one at the time. :(

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
full

roof4.jpg
roof3.jpg
roof2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok yes there are issues.
Mainly the CDRS (copper disc rivets) are not fitted everywhere they should be .
Assuming the gauge is correct then its possible to fit some without stripping. unfortunately though the rivets missing at the verge and abutments are more tricky as no holes have been created to take them.
Probably best to strip and start again
The lead flashing is too short (a short course would correct) and poorly supported also,

Ok yes there are issues.
Mainly the CDRS (copper disc rivets) are not fitted everywhere they should be .
Assuming the gauge is correct then its possible to fit some without stripping. unfortunately though the rivets missing at the verge and abutments are more tricky as no holes have been created to take them.
Probably best to strip and start again
The lead flashing is too short (a short course would correct) and poorly supported also,

Many thanks. We had a local roofer come
round this afternoon and pretty much said exactly what you have.

If it makes you feel better he hasn’t done a bad job of that cladding but I’ve noticed the gutter brackets on the lower level are too spaced apart.

If it makes you feel better he hasn’t done a bad job of that cladding but I’ve noticed the gutter brackets on the lower level are too spaced apart.

Thanks

Would it be wise to put more in between the ones that are there

oh and no lead trays under the windows..

To be fair when we do a cladding job like that we don’t replace the lead under the windows as long as the trim is properly sealed against the underside of the cill and also that the lads have put breathable membrane under all the cladding.

i assume you seal the ends of cill too?
Ok,I don't personally agree with that approach,but if it works for years then cool.
However i believe this is a new
Dormer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back