Poorly Tigra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a second-hand Tigra (privately) a couple of weeks ago and it has been going lovely. However, today the engine light came on and I don't know why, can anyone tell me what it represents as I have a long journey on Friday to make and I would like the car in tip-top condition. It came with no manual, and I might sound a bit thick (being a girl), but is it air cooled or water cooled? Thanks. :cry:

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't drive the car when the engine light is on, it could be any number of things, but unfortunately to find out what it is you need an engine analyser, which is a very expensive bit of kit (probably costs more than the car!) The only time I've ever had the engine light go on in a vauxhall (astra), it turned out to be the anti-knock sensor. You can easily tell if this is the problem, as the engine management system ******* the iginition in order to protect the engine. You tell if the ignition is retarded as the car will feel extremely sluggish compared to normal. Questions, though, is the light on all the time, or is it intermittent? Does the car behave differently when the light is on?

I would guess the engine is water cooled.

The engine light can be very unspecific. It came on in my car (Mk 4 Astra), so I took it down to the Vauxhall garage. It was part of the emissions control system, I would think that would have a separate light but no.

Definitely get it checked out. There is always the possibility it is something "cheap" if you get it fixed now, but if you leave it and do your long journey you end up needing £100s spent on it. :confused: If they say they can't fit you in, explain that you need to know because you have the journey coming up and everything. Many garages are quite accomodating if you are desparate.

Sponsored Links
Back