Porcelain question............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had our bathroom re done and we paid a small fortune for the porcelain tiling.

We put a mirror above the basing and we went through 2 diamond drill bits alone, so we have decided not to drill anything that doesn't have to be drilled.

My question is this if you can help

I want to put a soap dish in the shower cubicle, preferrably on the wall. Is it possible to buy one and mount it with some sort of no more nails product to avoid drilling?

Also, could I get it off and replace when the thing eventually goes rusty (as they all do).

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
If you buy a good quality soap dish/shower tidy/accesory it wont go rusty, a good example is Samuel Heath, expensive but will last over a decade.

You need to get yourself some diamond coated hole saws, quite expensive in this country but these guys are a lot cheaper:-

http://richontools.com/

You must water cool when drilling.

Where can I browse these then? We gad expensive ones before which rusted (if £60 is expensive?)

I was thinking of this new no more nails tape?

John Lewis, House of frazer etc do them.

You can buy the decent suction cup type, they don't look great though, have you thought about drilling into the grout joint?

Sponsored Links
Tried the suction cups but as they are a slightly porous porcelain they just fall off sadly.

Drilling in the grout is an option I suppose?

A 6mm "tile bit" (drill bit) from B&Q will breeze through porcelain. Alteratively, a 3mm masonry bit followed by a 6mm will work.

Tried the suction cups but as they are a slightly porous porcelain they just fall off sadly.

Drilling in the grout is an option I suppose?

A 6mm "tile bit" (drill bit) from B&Q will breeze through porcelain. Alteratively, a 3mm masonry bit followed by a 6mm will work.

Only if its a diamond bit,going through porcelain with anything is possible but needs constant cooling and will take ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back