1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Porch light timer behind coats

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by r_c, 4 Nov 2018.

Tags:
  1. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I am looking to add a timer (not me do the work, but a qualified electrician) for our porch light and then set it to to come on and off every day. The porch light is LED. I was hoping to use a digital timer like this one from Green Brook, but then I read this:

"Ensure at least a 300mm air space is allowed around the timer."

We were hoping to place the timer just below a coat rail, and so it would effectively be hidden by coats and jackets, etc. But that would not be possible if it needed this much space.

Is this a standard feature of timers that they need this airspace? Is there something else you could suggest that could be on a wall covered in coats?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, and if it really needs all of that space, can't be mounted on a flammable surface or anywhere near combustible materials than can only mean one thing - it gets blazing hot in use.
    Not something anyone would want due to the waste of energy and fire hazard.

timer_drivel.png

Buy a different timer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks @flameport. Is there another that you could recommend? Or a few keywords that I could Google would help, as searching for "24hr Mechanical Timer switch" isn't giving me very useful results.

5. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That phrase (without quotes) gets me a bit over 10 million hits on Google, which is hardly surprising, given that near all the words it contains are pretty ubiquitous. However, even with the whole phrase in quotes, I still get over 30,000 hits - what is 'not very useful' about the hits you are getting?

Kind Regards, John

6. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I seem to be getting lots of hits for these sort of 24 hour timers instead. Can you suggest a better set of keywords, or a specific site to use?

7. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links