Porch light type???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking to change my porch light to one with a sensor. It is currently just a switch on/off, but would like one which I can switch on & off when I like, but when I got to bed & switch it off, it then only comes on with a PIR. Does such a thing exist to purchase, & if so what is it called?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am looking to change my porch light to one with a sensor. It is currently just a switch on/off, but would like one which I can switch on & off when I like, but when I got to bed & switch it off, it then only comes on with a PIR. Does such a thing exist to purchase, & if so what is it called?
Many/most PIR lights have a means of manually over-riding the PIR, so that you can switch them on 'permanently' when you want to. With some, that 'over-riding' is achieved by operating the switch off and then back on in quick succession. Many/most ones which didn't have that facility used to such that one could wire a 'manual over-ride' switch - although I think that is becoming less common with the gradual change over to LED PIR lights.

Kind Regards, John

I'm assuming ( :confused: ) that you want to turn it on/off manually for specific reasons, not just 'cos it's dark. If not, and it is the latter, you need a dusk-dawn timer one.

But if it is, then it's as John said. If you get one which doesn't have a "quick off-on override", make sure you get one where the output of the PIR is accessible so that you can connect a switch in parallel with it.

If there is no "quick off-on override facility", the ones to look for are those which have replaceable mains voltage bulbs/lamps (in which case the switched mains output will usually/often be available for manual switching), and the ones to avoid are 'integrated' LED ones (with non-replaceable LEDs).

I doubt that 'dusk to dawn' functionality is wanted - since, if that were the case, there presumably would be no desire/need a PIR.

Sponsored Links
Okay so what would i be looking for if I was to buy one that could be overriden by switching off/on quickly, or do most modern lights with built in PIR have that capability?

Okay so what would i be looking for if I was to buy one that could be overriden by switching off/on quickly, or do most modern lights with built in PIR have that capability?
As I said, I think you'll find that many/most do have that facility - probably increasingly so, since other methods of manual switching may well not be available with the increasing number of 'integrated' LED ones.

I'm afraid the only way you can really tell for sure in relation to a specific product is by reading the specification/instructions.

Kind Regards, John

ASD are my favourite for this type of fitting. There are four reasons why:

1. Ease of fitting - you attach the back plate to the wall and wire it up, then the fitting just plugs onto it.
2. The fittings are rot-proof, no steel or aluminium to corrode.
3. The fitting has an easy set-up, with a switch allowing walk testing during the day & preset on times. No fiddling with little rotary adjustments.
4. You can add extra fittings to the PIR output.

http://www.discount-electrical.co.u...w-gls-240v--height--380mm---projection--252mm

The only thing is, I'm not sure if the override is the flick-switch type or if you have to wire an override switch into the circuit.

You will also have to ask if the fitting will work with CFL or LED lamps.

Ring ASD on: 01709 374898

Last edited:
Yes. As I said,
The only thing is, I'm not sure if the override is the flick-switch type or if you have to wire an override switch into the circuit.

But the OP may not want to disturb decor etc to do that. Hence asking ASD if their fittings have a pulse override (I can't remember).

ASD are my favourite for this type of fitting. .... The only thing is, I'm not sure if the override is the flick-switch type or if you have to wire an override switch into the circuit. .... You will also have to ask if the fitting will work with CFL or LED lamps.
That listing is a bit confusing, and the manufacturer's catalogue they link to doesn't help a lot.

It seems that the information provided in the listing is generic for the whole ASD range which includes 'standard' (presumably no PIR or photocell), PIR and 'Photocell' ("turns light on from dusk to dawn") versions. The linked catalogue also lists separate '100W GLS' and '9W Energy Saving' versions - and it's not clear whether that simply means that they are supplied with a different bulb/lamp, or whether the fittings are actually different. I see no mention of LEDs.

As you say, it looks as if the OP would have to ask whether it has a pulse over-ride. If it doesn't then, if it uses replaceable mains-voltage lamps/bulbs and particular if (as you seem to be saying) one can wire additional lights to the PIR, then it's very likely that one could use a 'wired manual over-ride' - although, as you say, that could well require additional wiring.

Kind Regards, John

You can also get a Pir with manual override, bit more wiring involved but you can use almost any light or use your existing

Google pir light with manual override

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back