Porous render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys/Gals

Anyone help?

Just rendered the outside of a workshop. Single skin hollow concrete blocks. Used 2 coats, scratch and top. Put the water proofer in both coats. Scratch coat about 5 to 8 mm top coat the same. The building is in a very exposed part of the southwest and although I finished it about 2 weeks ago it is still porous. To be fair it has hardly stopped raining since I finished. When the rain comes, along with the wind, it takes about an hour and you can see the blocks starting to go that horrible dark blue damp colour, starting with the perps and joints and eventually the blocks them selves.
Question is, am i being too hopeful for an instantly waterproof render.

Will it become waterproof as it cures and if so how long will it take.
Also when it does dry out in the spring will an ordinary exterior paint be enough to seal the wall. I have noticed other buildings in the area have slate tiled the sides of their buildings.
Should I wait or do i need to do something more serious.
Cheers for any advice coming

Hank.

Sponsored Links
Years ago people used to put slates on the side of buildings and also render over them as a damp proof barrier ,I think you will be better off giving your workshop a few coats of Crown Stronghold or Dulux Weathershield, I would put three or four coats on .....Just noticed your address is in France so find a good exterior paint if you cant get the other two ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back