Portable appliance testing

The dangerous issue here is that the round pins do not fit correctly into the connectors of the socket! your not getting the same level of surface area connected to each other
A europlug is only intended for devices that draw very small ammounts of current so I don't see the smaller contact area as a real problem (and if it was a problem it would also be a problem that would also happen with many of the socket types that europlugs are intended to work with).
No, they're used up to 16A. They are designed to be used with a socket-outlet having tube-type receptacles for the pins, giving a much greater contact area.

Sponsored Links
Despite the fact that you have to put something into the earth socket to open the flaps for the live and neutral pins....

Bad practice and dangerous in the wrong hands. If a customer sees you doing that then they will think its ok to do it as well. The euro plug pins also have to bend outwards a little to fit the gap between the British live and neutral sockets and this can crack the euro plug and cause damage to the internals.

Either way it is a fail, as it there is no British Standard complied with.

BS1363 is very strict. forcing an europlug into the socket may leave the live terminal open in a way that something could be shoved down the side (not always), similar to cheapy, nasty and non-compliant socket covers designed to protect little ones.

The dangerous issue here is that the round pins do not fit correctly into the connectors of the socket! your not getting the same level of surface area connected to each other
A europlug is only intended for devices that draw very small ammounts of current so I don't see the smaller contact area as a real problem (and if it was a problem it would also be a problem that would also happen with many of the socket types that europlugs are intended to work with).
No, they're used up to 16A. They are designed to be used with a socket-outlet having tube-type receptacles for the pins, giving a much greater contact area.
A Europlug is rated at 2.5A, not 16A!

Sponsored Links
The 2-pin one is rated at 2.5 amps and the round one that is either 2 pin or 2 pin and earth contact is rated for 16 amps. Myself I quite like them especially for the high current draw appliances a 16 amp domestic plug would be ideal.

1359463754.jpg
The 2-pin one is rated at 2.5 amps and the round one that is either 2 pin or 2 pin and earth contact is rated for 16 amps. Myself I quite like them especially for the high current draw appliances a 16 amp domestic plug would be ideal.

As I said, the Europlug (or CEE 7/16 plug, as was shown in Lectrician's photo) is rated at 2.5A, the Europlug pins have a diameter of 4mm.

The European 16A plug pins have a diameter of 4.8mm and are most definetely not called a Europlug. There are several differing forms used in different countries, the most common is the German Schuko.

BS 1363 was recently updated to require that the type of socket where the shutters are operated by simultaneous insertion of the Line and Neutral pins can not be operated by a Europlug. The Schuko pins can only be inserted into a BS 1363 socket by using excess force, and will cause permanent damage to the socket.

Ive got adaptors made by power connections on my Europlugs now they work a treat and have a BS1362 fuselink in them.

Lectrician wrote:
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 am
/End Quote

Certainly on the Costa Blanca in Spain one can buy two types of 2-pin plug, 2.5A and 16A. The latter has slightly thicker pins, and the body is larger, but still shaped like the 2.5A so it will not fit into the 2-pin adapters, only directly into the Schuko sockets. Nowhere have I seen a round 2-pin without peripheral earth, (except moulded plugs on some Class II equipment), but that is not to imply they do not exist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back