Portable Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I play rugby league for a team that struggles to find floodlit grass areas in the winter. I'm looking at a cheapish option for portable floodlights and was after some advice.

I've found this portable double flood post, but have no idea how to power it.

What I want to do is buy some rechargeable batteries, but obviously need to know I can power the lights, and what sort of battery to get. Would one of these do? Or these? What rewiring would be required? We will probably buy two of the floodlights, both with 23m flex - ideally a single battery could power both.

I am not a sparky in the slightest, just after some layman's advice.

Thanks all...

Sponsored Links
If there is no mains supply at the location, the only option will be a generator.

Those floodlights linked to will be totally inadequate for illuminating a sports field. Even if you did want to use them, running from a battery is simply not going to happen. If you had a heavy duty car battery and inverter, you might get them to run for 20 minutes or so before the battery was ruined.

A sensible option is to hire a lighting tower with generator, such as these:
http://www.hirestation.co.uk/hirestation/catalogue/Lighting+Masts/300+102/detail/1391.html

Thanks flameport.

We're only looking to illuminate a smallish area - say, just less than a quarter of a pitch, enough for fitness, sprint work, tackle training, etc. Doesn't have to be brilliantly illuminated, just enough to work by. We currently use the ambient light from some floodlit 5-a-side pitches but training on exactly the same spot every week wrecks the ground.

We're looking at getting a couple of these Megastar Floodlights, but they're not cheap at £500+ each! Was hoping we could rig something up that could last up to 2 hours by getting the floodlights and a good battery seperately.

batteries are heavy to lug about and tend to run out when you don't want them too..
your best bet would be a 2.2KVA generator..

Sponsored Links
Those megastar things - dont waste your money.

The metal halide lamps on a post are a better solution, though you'd want to purchase, not hire, and a 3kw genny. Surprising what ebay turns up if you look.

They are the incredibly bright ones they have at the side of the motorway in roadworks, shining at . . . absolutely ****ing nothing usually (and straight into oncoming motorists eyes too).

Though I did see a good use for them a while ago, stationed at each SPECS speed camera so they could read the car reg nos. :LOL:

Item 150403179830

Collect in person from Bristol. Not exactly mint condition, but will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back