Positioning a thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a new build - where would you put the thermostat.

In the lounge (where people spend most of their relaxation/leisure time, or in the hallway which has no windows, a door off to the kitchen and a door to the lounge (as well as the stairs).

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of you folks who are experienced at installing heating systems.

Sponsored Links
In most houses, there's a front door in the hallway, and that starts the heating up unnecessarily when it's opened in cold weather. In most cases, you'd put it in the lounge, and then balance the system so that all the rooms come up to about the same temperature at the same time. But wherever it's fitted, that room mustn't have a TRV on the rad.

As I have said before... use a wireless stat... put it in the coldest, frequently used space and use TRVs in other spaces to prevent overheating of those spaces.

For a one off build I'd be looking at something a bit more advanced than one thermostat for the whole property. Having installed Evohome here I wouldn't want to go back to a single zone. Note that a new build will need to comply with Part L of the building regulations. A simple PDF guide is here.

Sponsored Links
No prizes for guessing your opinion OP! The argument against lounge is you put the gas fire on or whatever in winter, then when you leave to go to another room the house is freezing elsewhere cos the thermostat is satisfied the whole time. Customers will complain less if it's on unnecessarily than if it's freezing after paying 3k+ for a fancy boiler

If you're being really smart and have loads of cash you could install one in every room! For ufh you often zone it by room.
Imo would be better if the boiler would shut down automatically when the flow dropped (all trvs closed and bypass open) then no need for a thermostat and all that cabling.

No prizes for guessing your opinion OP!

:giggle::giggle: - you astute fellow.

Thanks for the input guys, and for confirming my view - it should not be in the hallway.

We just moved into a new house and that's exactly where they put it.
The problem is that when we started to run the heating with the recent cold spell it would be in the evening and the front door is little used. So the small hallway gets to temperature very quickly and shuts off the heating well before other rooms get to a decent temp, and even though they all have TRV's, they never get to a temperature to switch them off.

I 'complained' to the developer and their reaction was ' the heating has been installed to spec and if we have a problem we should take it up with the boiler manufacturer' :confused::confused::confused:

I am currently getting 3rd (4th, 5th etc) opinions and they all seem to be along similar lines to the replies here.

I will be taking it up with the developer next week now that we have settled in.

Thanks again for the input.

For a new build - where would you put the thermostat.

Assuming that the developer's budget doesn't stretch to something like Evohome, I'd still install a wireless thermostat rather than a wired one. It's probably no more expensive, once installing the wire has been allowed for, and it means the proud new owner can easily move it to whichever room they prefer.

Thanks for the input guys, and for confirming my view - it should not be in the hallway
I can see that going down well...:LOL:
You: "you installed in the hall, but I asked around as many people online as I could think and they all agree you should move it"
Developer: "have a whip round and we'll see if your mates online willl pay for the engineer's time"

In seriousness don't argue on the basis of where it is supposed to be, as that is a losing battle. If it complies with building regs they have no reason to do anything. Just argue on the basis you've spent so much money so ideally they can keep you happy. Or just be a pain in the arse. If a thermostat is your only snag you're doing ok

It's not the installation that's at fault, it just hasn't been set up properly. They need to shut down the lockshield valve so that it doesn't come up to heat so quickly, and maybe open up some of the other rads at the same time.

You haven't mentioned whether it's a wired, or wireless system. If wireless, and they won't play ball, then take off the TRV head in the living room, and move it in there. If it's wired, then you need to reroute the wires, and if you're lucky, it's on the other side of the living room wall.

If the boilers heating the house up, then it can't be a boiler issue, so tell them that if they're not prepared to resolve the issues (and no, you're not turning the hall stat up to 30c as a cheat method) then you'll get in your own plumber, and then take the matter to the small claims court to recover the costs.

the small hallway gets to temperature very quickly and shuts off the heating well before other rooms get to a decent temp,

Adjust the lockshield valve on the hall radiator so that it gets little flow, and warms up slowly.

Back in the 1950's it was considered quite normal to put the stat in the hall, as it was usually the coldest part of the house.

Thirded, lockshield locked down to match the heat up of the hall to the rest of the house - if there is no rad on the landing, this shouldn't be too hard to achieve as the rad must be a fair output in the hall to cause the issue you are having?

In most houses, there's a front door in the hallway, and that starts the heating up unnecessarily when it's opened in cold weather.
That's what many say; but is it true?

Yesterday my wife had the front door wide open while chatting to a neighbour for over 10 minutes. The thermostat is directly opposite the door, as is the door to the living room; and I could feel the cold air coming in from outside. Amazingly the heating did not come on and the thermostat (CM927) showed no change in the actual temperature.

Sorry to hijack slightly, but if the head on a trv is turned up to max, is that the same as taking the head off the trv? Or do TRVs restrict/stop the flow even if the trv is on max?
Same basically. All valves give minor restriction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back