moving a thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey!

As seems to be the case with many older houses thermostats - ours is in a really bad position!

It'/s in our hallway - that has a rad about the size of the sun, with no thermostatic valve. So the heating kicks in, the hallway instantly warms up, then the boiler goes off - the rest of the house still freezing cold. I am considering placing it in the lounge - as it's where we spend most time, is still a large room to heat and has no other sources of heat than our bodies!

I am thinking to move it... it's a case of isolating it, removing it from the wall, getting a 240v cable extender, refitting and rewiring it in a more sensible place then turning the power back on...

Could a DIY job really be that simple?

Sponsored Links
Not sure - I don't know enough about their specs and standards. If it's an easy job then I could do!

I'm guessing moving the existing will cost as much as the extended wire and connector - and will probably be a zero cost short-term solution (all wire is accessible at the mo!)

Sponsored Links
When you say no other sources of heat in lounge, are there rad(s) in there? If there are, and they are fitted with TRVs, these will need to be left turned up to max. If the TRVs are set lower they will conflict with the room stat if it's moved into lounge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back