possible contaminated ground???,,,advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,I have an old timber framed bungalow which was built near the entrance of a mine shaft which was active in the 1800's,,,i plan to sell the place but the last buyer dropped out as search came back that said it could be on contaminated ground and needs investigation,,,can anyone tell me what tests would need to be done,,,how they are done,,,and some idea of cost involved???,,,I have had a site investigation done a long time ago on some land we built on where a lad came and put some tripods up and core drilled the earth in various places,,,i assumed this was just to see what type of foundation we needed,,,is it the same kind of thing to test for contaminated ground etc???,,,

Sponsored Links
ive already googled it loads mate but want to hear from people with real experience of it,,,all I can find on google is companies who do it but no info...

Cost and procedure will depend on the possible contamination, the makeup of the ground, the location, the size of the plot etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Ok. There could be contamination relating with past industrial use but is very low risk. There is a company called Solmek up your way who can do soil testing. If you want to pursue it then I'd suggest digging a number of holes and sampling the soil for typical contaminants (metals, hydrocarbons etc..) Ground gas can be an issue in mining areas but I'd steer away from that as it needs drilling and monitoring installation. Some soils testing would likely be enough for most purchasers and solicitors advising on a sale who aren't particularly clued up in contaminated land.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back