Possible illegal boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i suspect there is an illegal boiler installed in my rented property due to the comments of a british gas engineer. Council is aware and will take a look next week but i wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the video i took:

All feedback appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
The CO alarm is in the wrong place.

Was not sure whether to comment here on t'other site?

Why was the BG engineer there? Was the reading fluctuating before he arrived?

The flue is out of line, but I don't think it is a major problem (some may well disagree). As far as CO is concerned, if the outlet seal failed, the products (including CO), would be drawn back into the burner, so the risk of exposure is practically nil, although it would be detrimental to performance. He probably would have conducted a FGA (depending upon reason for visit) which would have told him if there was an issue. Did he leave any paperwork?. I would, TBH, be interested in the flue in the loft, if any. It is possible that the flue is badly supported and has moved, which IS of concern. Does the flue travel through the loft, or is it at the eaves area?

Download the instructions for correct siting of CO's or look at your instruction book

Sponsored Links
Why was the BG engineer there? Was the reading fluctuating before he arrived?

The flue is out of line, but I don't think it is a major problem (some may well disagree). As far as CO is concerned, if the outlet seal failed, the products (including CO), would be drawn back into the burner, so the risk of exposure is practically nil, although it would be detrimental to performance. He probably would have conducted a FGA (depending upon reason for visit) which would have told him if there was an issue. Did he leave any paperwork?. I would, TBH, be interested in the flue in the loft, if any. It is possible that the flue is badly supported and has moved, which IS of concern. Does the flue travel through the loft, or is it at the eaves area?

Download the instructions for correct siting of CO's or look at your instruction book
Hi, no gas safety certificate has ever been issued. The british gas boiler engineer said that he was supposed to disconect the boiler, but it was freezing and it was december and he said he wouldnt as it would be inhumane. He simply advised us not to use the boiler. I asked for this in writting and he refused. Maybe hes fallen foul of the rules.

Schitt job yes , but what makes you think it is an illegal install ?
No gas safety certificate has ever been issued since we moved in on October 2017. The landlord brings in a man to fix the boiler but that man has never been able to do anymore than get the boiler going again. I suspect he isnt even on the gas safe register since again, he never asked about or issued a gas safety certifcate.

Hi, no gas safety certificate has ever been issued. The british gas boiler engineer said that he was supposed to disconect the boiler, but it was freezing and it was december and he said he wouldnt as it would be inhumane. He simply advised us not to use the boiler. I asked for this in writing and he refused. Maybe hes fallen foul of the rules.

But why was he there?

By law, you must be issued with a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate every year:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm

Look at the fifth row question

But why was he there?

By law, you must be issued with a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate every year:

Look at the fifth row question

So if he hasnt done that since 2017, can i sue him?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if he hasnt done that since 2017, can i sue him?

You can sue anyone at aby time. Whether you will win or if there is any point is something else. Presumably you would be looking for a financial settlement? On what grounds would you claim that you are entitled to a payout?

Did you read the linked document that I posted?

You can sue anyone at aby time. Whether you will win or if there is any point is something else. Presumably you would be looking for a financial settlement? On what grounds would you claim that you are entitled to a payout?

Did you read the linked document that I posted?
Hi, i did read it. Here are the reasons i think that i might havea case:

1.) Gas boiler is old and faulty and has constantly broken down repeatedly since moving in October 2017. No permanent replacement has been made.

2.) No Certificate of gas safety check has ever been issued since moving in October 2017.

3.) British gas engineer who visited in December 2021 told us the installation was not legal and unsafe. He told us that his professional recommendation was to not use the boiler at all.

4.) Landlord verbally promised not to increase our rent and to allow us to live if we allowed construction of an extension room during covid. Suspiciously I was only offered a 6-month contract unlike the 1-year contract that I’ve signed since moving in.

5.) After extension building was carried out in October and early November last year, the garden was never cleared of construction material (wheelbarrows, metal frames and unused blocks). The garden was also not cleaned of dust and other waste like plastics wrappers of food that the construction crew had eaten. The grass was also really badly damaged.

6.) The electricity and water costs were incurred by us for all the construction cost.

7.) We had to endure some heat loss in the house due to construction as well as power cuts.

8.) The staff were probably not properly licensed. They didn’t wear safety helmets or high visibility jackets.

9.) One of the builders tried to break into our shed at night in early November. The police were called and an arrest was made in the garden, the event was traumatizing to me. I blame the landlord for bringing this person into my home.

10.) Upon mentioning some of the previous points to the landlord, the landlord has sent us a Letter on 21/02/2022 for increase in rent of over 28% or to vacate the property by 11/04/2022 when the current contract ends.
11.) Landlord has never provided me with a current energy performance certificate, before or after the extension.

12.) No electrical safety check has taken place since moving in October 2017.

13.) Landlord has never provided a copy of the Govt “How to Rent” guide.

14.) Failure to provide smoke alarms.

15.) I suspect illegal gas work from an individual who is not on the gas safe register.

Upon mentioning some of the previous points to the landlord, the landlord has sent us a Letter on 21/02/2022 for increase in rent of over 28% or to vacate the property by 11/04/2022 when the current contract ends.
Seems to me that this is your main beef. Wouldn't you be better off moving out and finding a better landlord?

Much of your comment, which may be valid, appear not to be backed with evidence. In particular, (3) , if the professional opinion of the RGI was that the system was unsafe, he should have followed our industry practice. We are not allowed to verbally say is unsafe , then walk away. Either you misunderstood, he was exaggerating or he was a bit of a fool. You still have not explained in what capacity he visited your home. I am guessing the LL did not send him?

I don't know if you have any legal case, but if you feel strongly then you should be talking to a solicitor or approaching a charity or similar for help and advice:

Links to helpful organisations - Housing Ombudsman

Looks like your are moving out, as the landlord doesn't want you there anymore.

Good luck.

Andy

Much of your comment, which may be valid, appear not to be backed with evidence. In particular, (3) , if the professional opinion of the RGI was that the system was unsafe, he should have followed our industry practice. We are not allowed to verbally say is unsafe , then walk away. Either you misunderstood, he was exaggerating or he was a bit of a fool. You still have not explained in what capacity he visited your home. I am guessing the LL did not send him?

I don't know if you have any legal case, but if you feel strongly then you should be talking to a solicitor or approaching a charity or similar for help and advice:
He visited due to landlord taking out a homecare on the boiler, which the engineer then deemed the boiler unsuitable for contract and voided it. He gave me a letter stating that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back