Possible planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I will post the plans later this weekend BUT.... we are looking to buy a semi-detached house, it has a massive rear garden (about 100ft depth and 50ft width) and we would like to extend across the full rear of the property and out to the side.

The side where we would extend to is on the non attached house and we are set back from it meaning it wouldnt overdhadow them and we would be about 1.5m from the boundary. It would be a 2 storey.
Then the rear would be across the entire back of the house out 3m and 2 storey. The house has had planning approved for a gable (next to the attached house) to come out 3m (2 storey) - we propose to add a second gable (mirror image it) and have a flat roof connecting them. The flat roof would not be seen as it is to the rear and we're not overlooked, the garden backs onto a private field.

I will put the plans on but can anyone comment about liklihood of planning permission, do we even need it, what to look out for?

Or even better are there any structural engineers or designers around chelmsford essex who fancy helping us out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

I can get the plans on here over the weekend,
Why does it sound like over development? We want to make a 2 bed in a beautiful location into a 4 bed for our growing family, I am curious why that might be over developing?

You're Planning Department may consider that increasing the number of bedrooms by 100% would be over development for a variety of reasons, they may consider such a development would be detrimental to the character of the existing dwelling, they may consider that it would not be in keeping with the area, they may have relevant reasons listed in their Local Plan (development guidelines for planning applications, each council has their own) ie you cannot increase the number of bedrooms in a dwelling by 100% for example, all sorts of reasons.

However, you're getting ahead of yourself, many such extensions are perfectly acceptable, upload some plans/photos etc and the Forum will advise. ;)

A few weeks ago when I was working up that way I'd have been in there like a rat up a drain pipe, am back in Devon now though. :(

Sponsored Links
do we even need it, what to look out for?

Is there any reason why you're not wanting to go down the route of obtaining pre-application advice via your local planning authority in which the above questions could be answered?

I will be talking to the duty planner this week however nothing beats speaking to people on forums who know a thing or two about these things :0)
I'm not going to do the preplanning application through our council, its not cheap...but I will do once the DP says if he thinks our cause is likely to be doable

I will be talking to the duty planner this week however nothing beats speaking to people on forums who know a thing or two about these things :0)
I'm not going to do the preplanning application through our council, its not cheap...but I will do once the DP says if he thinks our cause is likely to be doable
It is negligible that Applying for Formal Pre-Planning advice will cost that much more and could be a whole lot less hassle for little extra. On controversial jobs it can be the best way forward, work with the Planners not against! ;)

We certainly plan on working with them :)

Whats the best information to take along to the duty planner?

As much as you can, some photos (rem some from the road or your neighbours gardens if pos) an extract from Google Earth to show yours/your neighbours gardens/the road etc and if you've done any doodles take them too. A good tip is to take along a laptop if you have one to save printing everything out.

Great, so it doesnt matter that we only have rough plans and not detailed volumetric ones then? I have lots of photos from all angles, plus the plans that were approved before and have lapsed. Plus a plan we have done ourselves (i'll upload later) and maybe a 3d mock up too so they can see what it will look like.

Is there any difference between pre planning advice (on the council web site) where you send all this in and just an informal meeting with the duty planner?

But that does cost DD I guess the OP is on here for a steer.

That may be the case but it could save time and money in the future. You'd kick yourself if you submitted an application for such extension, only for it to be refused on simple grounds, which would have been covered in the pre-application stage.

nothing beats speaking to people on forums who know a thing or two about these things :0)

That may be the case but forums like these can only give general advice on their experiences and background and may not necessarily relate to your development or your local planning authority. Each planning application is dealt with on a case by case basis so regardless if you obtained information here, it may be irrelevant.

Is there any difference between pre planning advice (on the council web site) where you send all this in and just an informal meeting with the duty planner?

The website should be able to tell you that. However, my understanding is that if you apply formally, i.e. sending the drawings formally with a covering letter, etc... then you will obtain written advice in return, which may be subject to a fee. This advice may take around two weeks to obtain. An informal meeting with a PO is simply that... it's informal. You will only get a limited amount of time and it's usually free advice and you do not come away with anything in writing, which would normally help support your case when you put forward a formal application.

Yes a big difference, when you pop in to see the duty officer its an informal chat (usually with whoever's pulled the short straw on that day), when you do a formal Pre-App (which you pay for) you should get a 1 hour meeting with a Planning Officer who will devote a little time and effort to it and provide you with a written report detailing how it is likely to be received (ie positively or negatively) and what changes they may like to see to ensure it gets through etc. Your LA will probably produce a booklet or similar saying what they provide for a formal Pre-App. Who is your LA?

It should be said that some Local Authority's allow you to literally walk in off the street anytime during the day and sit down for a chat whilst other Local Authorities (like Plymouth) will only talk to the public on three mornings a week when only one Planning Officer (always the most junior) who will then meet you face to face at a pre-arranged time a few days later! Who knows what your LA will be like!

Thanks again guys ;)

My LA is chelmsford. They seem to suggest preplanning applications are done formally rather than popping in to see someone. I will phone Monday morning to see if they have an option to see a duty planner without sending the forms first.

I dont think what I'm suggesting is radical, especially as there are lots of different types of house on the street

I welcome your thoughts when I upload the images though :)

My LA is chelmsford

Shouldn't that read...

The LA is Chelmsford

Your LA is Surrey Heath B.C. as per your location on your profile? And in your first post, you mentioned about thinking of buying a property? :p

Btw, I'm sure you're aware but you cannot submit a planning application on a property in which you do not own. That is of course unless you submit the relevant certificate/notices, thus allowing you to do so :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back