Possible to combine LED dimmer and occupancy sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
id quite like most the lights in my house to work thus:

Be a touchable Dimmer like the varilight v pro system (touch on, touch off, hold to dim/bright and release when desired brightness reached, tap several times to activate learning mode and pair the tv remote)
Have occupancy sensors that turn lights on and off as you'd expect
Be able to override the occupancy detection and turn the lights off e.g. For movies
Be able to set the OD to quite numb e.g. For sleeping, it won't detect but if you get up to go to the bathroom, it will

Are all these things possible (perhaps by switching the OD sensitivity, eg for movies set it so it only detects large movement- I have a doubt that switchable or variable sensitivity exists outside of turning a pot on the sensor - or perhaps by dimming the lights to lowest and just leaving the OD to do its thing. This would cause a bit of a nuisance next time someone expects the OD to turn the lights on properly though if they're dimmed all the way, though I suppose remembering to turn them back up after movie isn't beyond the wit of man

Sponsored Links
May be better to ask in home automation section. One can get all you want I am sure as long as your willing to pay for the system. I have only worked on commercial systems in the main they use three machines the PLC (programmable logic control) which actually controls the devices and this is programmed with a PC. It can also be linked to a PC or to a control panel for user access the latter is called a HMI (human machine interface). However these are rather expensive. There is also a very cheap system called a PIC (programmable integrated circuit) but it requires a lot more skill to program often used to program household items like washing machines. There are also some half way between the two systems like the "Arduino" harder than using a PLC but easier than using a PIC.

There are also many others designed for home automation some which are near ready built and pre-programmed.

The commercial units use a system called 5 ~ 20 mA where the first 5 mA runs the sensor and the 15 ~ 20 mA does the control. Without that 5 mA all sensors would require a return. We are now finding the same problem with the home. A dimmer switch needs some power to run the dimmer. My son looked into some special bulbs which could be controlled from your phone, but he rejected the idea as they used something like 3W to run the bulb and needed power at all times. So 12W bulb when on, but still 3W when off.

This is now the problem with home automation how much power is needed to run the system? We are seeing dimming switches which require neutral which means some re-wiring to get neutral to the switch.

So yes can be done, real question is are you willing to pay the price?

Well.. It's a new build so I guess he time to put neutral to the switch is now! I'll ask the mods to mo e to home auto, cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back