Possible to install a new power outlet in this room (Pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

You've been a big help to me before on this forum, so I thought I'd come again in my hour of need.

My house has just recovered from a flood and we're busy decorating - at the eleventh hour I'd like to make some changes and site the TV on a wall on the opposite side of the room (To save a shed load of space in what is a small house) - Unfortunately, we have no power outlets on this wall. Its an partitioned wall (stud\plasterboard)

I'd like to have at least a 2 gang socket on this wall - see picture.4
Can this be achieved given the room layout in the picture? - and what would be involved?

Obviously, I'd like it to be as hassle free as possible - I know some plastering\patching may be required and I'm open to that, but would like to keep disruption to a bare minimum. I would consider any other methods to get power to this side of the room. I am willing to pay a pro to do this work. But I need it done within the next 3 weeks before new carpet arrives :unsure:

If its doable, I'm open to someone quoting me for the work. I'm based in the South Side of Sunderland - NE.

3e54.jpg

Thanks again for any replies.

John

Sponsored Links
If the cupboard runs under the stairs it will be very easy to run a cable from the fuse box to the desired location.

If the cupboard runs under the stairs it will be very easy to run a cable from the fuse box to the desired location.

This is encouraging.

Yes, it's actually a downstairs toilet that is directly under the stairs.

I could actually live with the socket being closer to the toilet - behind the door even.

Just had a sparky come and look at this job today. He quoted a reasonable price and also got him to quote on running some protected electrics to my shed for me whilst he was there :)

He has stated that he can run a cable from the fuse box, trunk the cable and punch it through the toilet wall into the void under the stairs - this will give him access to be able to pull the cable to the location on the stud wall where I want the socket.

Hopefully he'll make good on his promise of doing at the weekend for me. :)

Sponsored Links
Are you going to get him to do your Aerial / Sat outlets too ;)

I never asked about that as I was just going to run the sky HD 'shotgun' cable under the carpet on the outside of the room - thats no biggie as it doesn't have that far to travel. I don't use the arial (Does anyone these days?)

Do you think I would be better off asking him to run this for me whilst he is here (at cost of course)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back