Post war UK electrical industry 1946

Sponsored Links
A very interesting read -- a true snapshot of consumer electronics, attitudes to electricity and that strange period immediately after the end of WWII.

I was very interested in page 7 where an advert mentions the ability to capture harmful gas emissions through electric plates. I live very close to Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station built in 1968. Compared to when built, it is actually a relatively clean plant now largely due to changes made to the main stack in the 1990s. I had no idea this technology was under development in the mid-40s.

Wonder how much of the stuff in there is still in use? I know the "cable insulating paper" mentioned in there is present in my 1947 house (redundant cable left in old conduits in the wall).

Sponsored Links
Cool. Sadly the only items I have here that are mentioned there are some Bill Radette 3 phase switches. Certainly seen some of the other stuff still in use. Ellison switchgear is nice stuff, and Welwyn vitreous enamel resistors are still wonderful things. I'd also love to see one of those Pyrex water heaters.

So many names I recognise!

I was touched by this:

upload_2019-1-4_3-50-43.png

Wonderful old magazine, and not a Bulgin knob in sight.

The scary thing is I have worked on so many of the things shown.

Do you remember topping up the oil in dash pots in starters, I do.

Last time I did that was on a shutdown contract in 92, took me aback a bit then, place was full of them, major blue chip company too

Wonderful read (what I've read of it so far), though it makes me realise I'm "not as young as I used to be" as I recognise many of the names there and have even used stuff with those names on (many thanks to dad's tinkering). British Thompson Houston, English Electric, and Brook motors for example.
And the Henley service unit on page 17 - I've recently seen something very similar still in service ! The house behind us is undergoing "extensive work" - basically they've gutted the place (including internal walls) as it was one of those "never updated in forever" houses. The service head and fusebox looks a bit like that - though it's going to get replaced as they're having the intake position moved.

The scary thing is I have worked on so many of the things shown.
The same applies to everyone of a certain age if they have professional experience in particular areas.

I once went to a computing museum.

Oh dear.

BAS - try keeping the politics out of it. Cold just as easily argue that the rabid remoaners want us to be in an even worse place. And by your figures, only 25% voted to remain :whistle:
Don't turn this thread into something else like you usually do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back