Potential disaster in the making or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So our first floor maisonette flat had two windows and a doorway into our living room from the entrance way. They were very dated, so we removed the windows and door but kept the frame, thinking we would do something with it at a later date as we had other renovations to focus on.

Today I got back and my husband has cut the central beams to open it all up, without fully thinking about whether or not it provided any structural support to the wall at all. Apparently his friend who is a builder said it's incredibly unlikely that there isn't already a lintel in place (it's a load-bearing wall) and that two wooden beams from a door frame wouldn't have provided any support, so he just went ahead without checking with anyone else.

I just wanted to get some other opinions about it and whether we're likely in for a disaster in the next few days?

For context, it's a 1960s build with breeze block internal walls. It's been done for about 8 hours now and there's no cracks yet or any movement it seems. I've attached some photos that his friend took while it was being done to hopefully give you better context.

Attachments

• PXL_20220226_132600207.jpg
    PXL_20220226_132600207.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 209
  • PXL_20220226_152056075.jpg
    PXL_20220226_152056075.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 196
  • PXL_20220226_173726140.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220226_173726140.MP.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 202
Sponsored Links
I am not an expert but would think the wooden frame is supporting the blocks above but not the floor above.

There are experts on here like @tony1851 who may be able to offer a view.

Blup

Hack off a small amount of plaster to confirm there’s a concrete lintel immediately above? I reckon the builder is right, unlikely such a large span of masonry was supported by a door frame.

That proper DIY, stood on a chair and not bothering to put a sheet down to stop the mess (y)

What’s done is done, if it didn’t fall down and kill him immediately, he’s probably got away with it.

Just monitor for any crack

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone!

We ended up sending photos to a structural engineer and he said if we weren't seeing cracks already, chances are it was just a door frame and wasn't holding anything up but to keep an eye just in case. He said he'd be shocked if there wasn't a lintel or something structurally supportive in place as the size of wood wouldn't be strong enough to support much of anything.

But it's definitely reassuring to get other perspectives! Think he's learnt his lesson to not just go into a DIY project without fully thinking it through...

If you tap the area and it is hollow sounding then it is likely to be a wooden frame, if it it sounds solid, then blockwork. Glad it seems to be getting sorted.

Blup

It's definitely solid the whole way across and up.

The walls throughout the flat are very hard - drilling anything into them, like curtain poles and just nails for pictures are a hassle.

Thanks for your comments Blup! You've all reassurred me it's not going to collapse around us without at least a little bit of warning cracks..

If it is blockwork then maybe removing that as well would remove the problem, you could always make up the space with a plaster boarded wooden frame.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back