Potentially dangerous light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've just bought a new light fitting off of ebay. It is metal and has no earth wire, just a black and white wire. I can see no markings as to whether it is double insulated or not and hence I think I'm right in saying it's dangerous. I've added a picture for your reference. The seller on eBay says they will send me an earth wire but I don't see how that will make it safe as where would I connect it to? Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
The wire colours of black and white would generally suggest something for the north americian market, black hot and white neutral, the 220v-240v would suggest not, they do use 220v over there, but only for bigger loads such as cookers or dryers, lighting is generally 110v. SO what it actually suggests is an asian import, mixing it all up, using wire colours for one region in another. That CE mark will be fradulent, if they cant get the wire colours right, its unlikely they have complied with other requirments, such as earthing, as you point out for instance.

Looking at the website on that sticker, it would suggest the seller is importing various products from certain eastern countries and selling them on here, probably without realising that as an importer into the EU that he is responsible for ensuring stuff meets requirements and is correctly CE marked. They probably don't have the time or expertise, but this should really be passed onto trading standards....

Neither 220v or 110v has been used in the US for decades. Their standard voltage is 240/120 with a 5% tolerance. Black and white wiring is used in other places with US influence at 220/240v.

The CE mark looks pucker, the fraudulent ones usually have the C and E closer together. However I guess the forgers are getting better as certainly a lamp with black and white wires should not be CE marked.

Sponsored Links
If you look at the website found on the label, you will see they have a new product - an N95 face mask :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back