potterton combi 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Will

Have you had any joy with your problem? The symptoms sound very similar to the problem I have with a Puma 80e. In the meantime if I get any change then I'll post it back to you in the hope that it helps.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi there, be warned I speak from personnal experience only.
Have Puma 60 and recently had fan failure. Simplky look at fins when boiler is on and they should be running. If not its relatively easy to replace. I bought a reconditioned one for half price. Should really make sure there is 240V to it.

Equally, i recently hasd a problem which sounds similer. (See - Hot Water fine, No central heating - deedee9 somewherea tt he top of this list). Replacing Wax Valve Assembly worked for me.

Best of luck, deedee9

As far as your overheat problem goes you need to check you have a pump overrun wired in which will keep the pump running for a few minutes after the boiler has shut off in order to cool it down and prevent it locking out.

AGAIN! Sticking DHW flow switch causes overheating RADIATORS and then cut-outs. Do a search on "Absolutely" , honest.

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry for the late response.

After much toing and froing, started with the divertor valve which cured the rads heating up, still had the lockout prob though so replaced the main board, which stopped the intermittent lockout, only to be replaced with a lockout everytime the HW was turned off as well as a lot of boiling gurgling noise and the burner not cutting out.

Stripped the HW flow switch down as bizarrely it stopped working at the same time as I cured everything else.
Anyway it was just scaled up and now everything is working fine and super quiet, (after 2 days of draining, filing and scraped knuckles (why is every bold screw right next to a sharp metal edge/corner))

Glad I didn't have to pay somebody to do it!

cheers

Will

I'm not sure if this is of any value but it fixed my problem..
DHW worked fine, however, CH fired up for 10 sec until upto temp then turned off. Pump ok. However diverter valve hot but no h/w going into the CH cct. Problem turned out to be 2 dripping taps. Enough water at the top of the diverter valve to keep wax pellet cold and hence 'fool' valve into prioritising water to the h/w cct and none to CH. Soln - turn off the c/w valve under boiler and test. Tomorrow fix dripping taps. :D

Having worked for Potterton for over15 years I can tell you that dripping taps cause all sorts of problems with Puma / combi range it will stop the boiler switching over to central Heating and also cause the Heat exchanger to scale UP ;) ;)

Potterton Man said:
Having worked for Potterton for over15 years I can tell you that dripping taps cause all sorts of problems with Puma / combi range it will stop the boiler switching over to central Heating and also cause the Heat exchanger to scale UP ;) ;)

I have a potterton combi puma and the heating went off today, but the HW was available. Sure enough there was a dripping tap... now all OK TX you have saved me £££££. :D :D

:( Hope someone is still reading these posts as I have a problem and need some advise from people who know more than me!!

I have a combi 80 and it looks like I have a simular problem, yesterday I noticed that the rads wernt hot as they could be so I had a plumber friend have a good look, he by the doesn't do combis so only checked that the pump was ok and then said not sure but it could be the diverter valve.

I'm waiting for an expert to have a look but they are few and far between and its getting very cold in our place!!

Its just like what Pheonix said "DHW worked fine, however, CH fired up for 10 sec until upto temp then turned off. Pump ok. However diverter valve hot but no h/w going into the CH cct" but not leaking inside or on top of the valve it just stays cold on the front section and hot towards the back.

someone said that you can manually move the valve open with an alan-key or some how just to see if this is the problem and maybe get a bit of heat through the rads to warm the place,

I don't think that there would be much else wrong with the unit as it only went wrong yesterday and we've left it off except for testing etc, also its only 5 years old.... :( :( :(

Check you havn't got any hot taps dripping.

Check the pressure gauge underneath the boiler is showing about 1 Bar with the rads cold and boiler off.

You`ve jumped on a old post here son. Anyway
1. Check hot taps are not dripping or leaking ( turn mains water valve off under boiler to be cert) If not then :arrow:
2. Replace wax capsule assembly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back