Potterton Ep2002 to TADO V3+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
first post on here. I read some previous posts before buying TADO V3+ CH & HW control kit with the intention of replacing my old Potterton 2002. However .... upon inspection, the guidance given in other threads doesn't appear to line up to what I have ..... in other threads the suggested connection is;
Potterton TADO
1 > HW OFF
2 NOTHING
3 > HW ON
4 > CH ON
5 NOTHING

However in picture below of my Potterton I have no connection currently to 1 (HW OFF). Also I checked the vltages on the wires already connected and the live feed is actually to 5 on the Potterton which you can see is then jumpered back to Live. My system is Y valve pumped with an old Walstar Oil fired boiler. The Potterton is located right next to the boiler and there is a wiring centre in the airing cupboard next to the Y valve and pump. Any advice on how to handle the absence of wire on 1 ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

potterton backplate.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you programme the HW and CH to be on and off separately, if so then you need a "HW off" wire to the M.pos valve to drive it to the CH position if the HW is programmed off. If you left the HW programmed ON all the time then the cyl stat will provide the HW OFF to the M.pos valve when the cyl stat is satisfied. connecting L&5 might be a work around having to wire in the HW OFF or you may not have a HW OFF contact on your programmer.
Below is the "normal" Y plan schematic.

Y Plan Wiring Schematic.gif

Thanks ... I can confirm that with the Potterton I can run the HW and CH separately. The diagram is a little overwhelming ... I'm trying to work it out. So maybe I should try and trace the connection between the grey wire in my junction box (which comes from Y valve) down to the Potterton back plate ?

Yes, I would trace that wire as you suggest and just to be clear, its a mid position valve and not a diverter valve where you can have CH or HW but not both together?.

Sponsored Links
I don't get that boiler wiring diagram as the switched live to the boiler comes from the mid position valve.

.. I can confirm that with the Potterton I can run the HW and CH separately
If the potterton wiring is working, why the need to change it?

Just connect the L's together including the extra wire currently in 5 on the Potterton.

N's > N
3 > Hot water On
4 > CH On

(+ add bridging wires between L and the commons on the Tado)

...and see how it works.
The type of system can be changed in the Tado configuration, if there are problems.

I don't get that boiler wiring diagram as the switched live to the boiler comes from the mid position valve.
Do you need to, if it currently works?

Last edited:
Plenty of wiring diagrams here for this Potterton with its own MPV.

Attachments

• POTTERTON-SUPRIMASYSTEM.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
Are you sure it’s a mid position valve? Can you post photo of the valve?

Apparently it is CBW, post #5, even though it doesn't specifically say that. If the Potterton MCP is similar to the "conventional" Honeywell or Drayton where the only way that they will drive the MCP to CH only without a HW OFF wire is if the CH &HW are allways programmed/timed to be on/off together, in which case the HW cylinder stat will supply the HW OFF via its satisfied terminal 2, the valve will then motor fully over to give CH only, if you switch off the HW then the valve will only motor and stay in mid position (via white wire) and will keep heating the cylinder with CH only required. Its strange but the Potterton schematic shows a HW OFF contact but seems to be optional?.

Here are the PTT2 connections as per some other DIY post, wiring diagram from Potterton.

1684659072195.png

Terminal Symbol Function Wire Connect to
1 H HW On/Call Blue with sleeve Terminal 8
2 C HW Off/Satisfied Yellow Terminal 7
3 L Permanent Live Red Terminal 1
4 TL HW on Call from Programmer/Timer Brown Terminal 6
5 N Permanent Neutral Blue Terminal 2

Apparently it is CBW, post #5, even though it doesn't specifically say that.
Yeah I saw that but it doesn’t confirm much.
Here are the PTT2 connections as per some other DIY post, wiring diagram from Potterton.
Boiler is a wallstar oil fired as per post #1, which weirdly when I search comes up as a combi boiler.

I guess I can check for Y valve operation later by removing the actuator and checking it's movement with both CH and HW on. I'm pretty sure it is....with both on the HW stat does not trigger boiler off when temp reached and room status still calling for heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back