Potterton Flamingo 50 - HELP - H/W but no C/H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help my husband and I who have been trying in vain to get our central heating to come on for the first time since the summer months. We have a Potterton Flamingo 50 (probably 20+ years old) and have set both the thermostat knob on the boiler and the room thermostat turned up high. The boiler main burner fires up for a minute or two but then cuts out, followed by a loudish "ping" noise from the boiler. The pilot light stays on. Funny thing is we have hot water but can't understand how as the main burner is not on for that long. The boiler will continue with these short bursts while the timer is on. We had a new pump about 4 years ago and had the thermocouple and injector pilot replaced 2 years ago. Does anyone have any suggestions of what we could try or is it time to call someone in?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your quick response. Is there a relatively easy/safe way of us checking whether the pump is stuck? The pump is positioned within a wall cupboard and the cupboard divider has been cut away to house the pump. Unfortunately I can't see the full name of the pump but at the top there are two letters, the first being a W and at the bottom it reads GOL50. It is bright green and has a large gold screw in the centre. There is a white plastic type screw on the side of the pump, which I guess is the pressure guage, which is set to 3. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the pump was stuck, as you predicted. We turned the shaft in the pump and the heating is now on. Thank you both very much!!

glad to have helped and glad ol pappy was here to tell how to free it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back