Potterton Fused Neutral?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else seen this in the current PE?

It's an article about a spark finding this Potterton boiler with wiring instructions detailing a 2A fuse in both live and neutral feeds to the boiler.

What's that all about?

Potterton.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can't read the photo - can't see anything in the diagrams indicating a fused neutral...

A while ago at work I was going to question the provision of two fuses in similar holders fitted in an asynchronous multiplexer.

Closer examination revealed a solid link between the neutral 'choc blocs', and the fuse holder was just used as a convenient place to park a spare fuse.

Sponsored Links
The picture at the top left shows the live and neutral conductors going into a terminal block, this block has two small fuses, one for live, one for neutral.

The Baxi boilers have this too.

Sorry the small inset picture showing the terminations at the top right. :oops:

Oh - OK - they just look like larger choc-blocks from here.

But TBH I don't see what the problem is - these fuses are inside the appliance, and so outside the scope of BS 7671. Anybody working on it is supposed to disconnect the supply, and it is no different from having an internal fuse in an appliance which has an unpolarised power connector.

A better scan would be great - I'd love to see what the letter writer thinks is wrong.

We used to make medical equipment and had to fit live and neutral fuses for equipment exported to Europe. The reason being that (at that time anyway), the plugs could be put in either way up, so you didn't know which was going to be live. Not sure if the same logic applies to a boiler though...

This any better?
I don't have access to a scanner no more...

Potterton-1.jpg

He's basically arguing the boiler breaches two regs, Ban:

132.14.2 and

Surely the first does not cover appliances and the second is not relevant because the fuse is not in the neutral "alone"?

Surely the first does not cover appliances
None of BS 7671 covers appliances.

Maybe before having a go at other people, holding them responsible for how Potterton make their boilers, and making himself look like a fool by writing to PE he should have read Chapter 11.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back