Potterton Netaheat 10-16 - not doing ANYTHING!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into this flat. The boiler was working fine (I've only used it for hot water) but today it's doing NOTHING. I switched the 'extra hour' button to put the hot water on and not a sound was heard. I'm not going to mess with it but before I call an engineer out I wondered if there were any simple things I could check first.

Please help?

Sponsored Links
You are not describing the situation very clearly. You have "moved in" but dont seem to have "bought it". In that case you would usually be renting if not squatting.

If you know how to operate the controls then that will bring on the boiler if there is not a fault.

As we dont know what controls you have all I can suggest that you turn on the hot water AND the heating and see if anything works. It may be a system or a boiler fault.

If the fault is on the boiler make sure you call someone who is experienced with them as few engineers are prepared to repair them as many of the spares are no longer available.

I seem to be one of the very few engineers still willing to repair Netaheats!

Tony

No, I'm not squatting. I'm borrowing the flat from my brother while I attend uni in September. I don't want to go running to him with my problem when he's been so kind as to let me live her rent free (I just pay all the bills).

So, yes, I know how to operate all the controls. I have set up all the timers so they don't actually come on (off time is same as on time) and I generate hot water by pressing the +1 button as my need for hot water is not currently regular. (Sometimes I use the timer but not much.)

I have tried switching on the central heating - nothing. I have tested my gas hob to ensure I have no problems, in general, with my gas working.

Now the weirdest thing has just happened - I switched the timer off completely, pressed the +1 button and it has fired up ok. I switched it off (via the override button), put it on Auto and tried the +1 button again - nothing. So I have hot water now but there is still a problem with the boiler which I need to sort out?

Sorry, that's not very clear either...

It doesn't work anymore when the timer is set to 'Auto'. (I tried turning the thermostat up and that didn't work either.)
It DOES work when the timer is set to 'off (and I press the '+1' button for the instant extra hour).

Sponsored Links
I think the only problem is that you dont understand how to use the controller! Hopefully you will be studing an arts or humanities subject.

The boiler is obviously fine.

As you can get hot water then why do you think there is any problem?

Tony

Ha, ha, I understand COMPLETELY how to use the controller (I'm not a young whipper snapper) I've been using them for years and understand them fully. I also know how to trouble shoot (I used to be a programmer in my early years). I just know my limitations and as I'm not a central heating engineer I can't take the boiler apart to have a look, all I can do is fiddle with the controls to rule out the simple things.

Having fiddled with it a bit more I am now seeing the the problem seems to be intermittent. The WORSE kind of problem! It's stopped working again. I.e. it doesn't fire up even when I turn the thermostat to 'max'.

More than likely the timer is faulty, if the boiler fires when you turn it on off by the override, you can take the timer off to do a link test but think you might struggle with how to do it safely. Ask your bro if he has a guy he uses for these probs! May only be a case of fitting a new clock.

Yes, I'm guessing it's an electrical fault somewhere. It doesn't fire up every time I use the override, only sometimes. I don't think he'll have anyone as he hasn't used this flat in years. Do you cover the KT6 area of London? If so, shall I contact you via this website if I do need to call out an engineer? How much do you charge for a service. I expect it hasn't had one of those in a while.

renting if not squatting!! Bloody hell that's a bit strong.He/she was only asking, and said please.

If your system has a fault then it needs a repair ( which costs more! ).

Chris R is not too far from KT6.

Tony

Tony, you are funny, stating the obvious like that. Of course if it's broken it will need repair - which would cost more - but if the problem doesn't present itself again (it's working fine this morning) then I can't get it fixed can I. I was wondering how much a service would cost because I could just do that in the mean time, for good measure.

Ps Yes Andy, I though the 'renting if not squatting' comment was a bit weird.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help.

Karen

You mentioned having a service as if it would fix the problem. It would not! Services are about £55.

As you rightly suggest, diagnosing an intermittent fault is often difficult if it does not present when an engineer is present. But sometimes the cause is identifyable by inspection/testing.

If you start by explaining the basis of your occupation then we can better advise you in relation to the responsibility for paying for repairs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back