Potterton Netaheat 10/16 pressure switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace the pressure switch in the above boiler. The original part has been superceded by a new design which has the tube connectors in an entirely different place to the old one. My problem is that I am not sure which tube connects to the positive terminal and which to the neg (on the new part)? The old part is not marked in any way and neither are the boiler tubes they come from.

Anyone got any clues? Thanks in advance!

>>>>update 7/5/04
I worked it out already for myself as I couldn't wait any longer for HEAT!!, but in case anyone else has the same problem, here's the answer:

the tube that was attached to the FRONT of the old switch (ie the side without the electrical connections) goes to the POSITIVE inlet on the new switch. Further, the wiring is slightly different. The orange and white wires should be swapped over on the new part. You can either do this when you transfer the wires to the new part from the old or by swapping them at the PCB end instead if you've already installed it and can't be bothered to take it apart fully again!

Sponsored Links
To give advise like this on the open forum when you are NOT a gas engineer, with the boiler having a POSITIVE pressure combustion chamber, you could easily KILL someone, or be party to it.

It is akin blind leading blind on a cliff top

The Netaheat is listed by the HSE as a positive pressure boiler and should NOT be worked on by a DIYer without the full knowledge of how these boilers work - in particular the supply of combustion air and exhaust of products of combustion.

The removal of combustion chamber requires certain tests to be carried out when it is replaced.

THESE ARE NOT IN THE MANUAL.

Failure to carry out these tests can render the boiler DANGEROUS as products of combustion including Carbon Monoxide can be pumped into the property.

This is not scaremongering this is a fact. Details on HSE website.

Alan

OK, thanks for all that, warnings heeded. To clarify:

1. The work I did was overseen by a qualified CORGI engineer (my next-door neighbour) and every step was checked by him before being undertaken. I would never have attempted any work at all on the boiler had I not had his expertise to hand. He was as stumped as me though when we got to this little problem, hence my posting.

2. The combustion chamber was not removed. The switch I am referring to is the fan pressure switch which is located behind the main control panel and adjacent to the PCB. The main cover (the vacuum sealed area where the heat exchanger, combustion chamber and water vessel lie) was not removed at any point.

I apologise for causing alarm, that was not my intention at all. Good to know that there are vigilant and knowledgeable people reading these forums. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you've got the tube on the wrong spigot and the connectors backwards as well. Being a corgi says nothing about this sort of thing. Ask Potterton.

Read what you have said but just for information the nickname of this boiler is 'the widowmaker'.

I work for potterton full time and could easily tell you how to do it but would have to agree with the other people that this should not be attempted by the householder only by a qualified heating engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back