Potterton NetaHeat 10-16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice.

After a weeks holiday with the central heating off, there was some brown water under the boiler and it did not fire up.

Called out BG under the 3* they replaced an electrode, advised the heat exchanger was leaking. probably because it was cold where off for a week.

They advise need a new boiler.

I have had 3 quotes so far varying information ref new rules and regs.

I am told you cannot get the replacement Heat Exchange as its so old. Also told to remove the boiler from the backplate is no-no, even if I could find parts. Had quotes for replacement boiler from £1600 (standard boiler) to £3200 for a condensing boiler + lots of what i think is unneccessary work. BG came out around £2400

I can get a worcester bosche boiler from local plumbers for around £800 including flue (correct BTU rated, house has been measured) and most likely get it fitted by a relative who is a proficient plumber but not corgi registered.

Questions:

Should we write off the old boiler, ie. is the advise we have correct?
Should we replace with a standard boiler for £1600 all in?
Should I get a worcester bosche and 'self fit'?

Any advice appreciated.

(editing subject from 10-40 to 10-16)

Sponsored Links
as part L is now running you will have to fit a condensor and upgrade the system controls

any new electrics will have to be notified under part P

if you work on gas you must be reg

if you wait for chris r he might know where you can get a new h/ex if you want to go that route

Is it possible and worth change the h/ex?

I was told we could not do it because of the way it attached to the mounting plate?

As this is an older boiler is it worth repairing? We are not considering moving for 5-10 at least.

Edited subject from 10-40 to 10-16)

Sponsored Links
The boilers are known as widowmakers because they have a positive pressure fan and tend to corrode the back plate which goes unnoticed and hence pumps out co into the room. Sounds as if the boiler has come to the end of its life....time to put it out of its misery :cry:

WidowMakers?

Holy S**t.

Thats the repair / replace Decision made. Glad I invested in a CO detector last year.

SO:

Should we replace with a standard boiler for £1600 all in?
Should I get a worcester bosche and 'self fit'?

If we do self fit, presume the sensible move it to get a corgi approved person to check it?

As Mrs Beaton said: First find your CORGI!

If you instal a new boiler and then try to find someone to check it out and commission it, you may have a problem! What you're asking someone to do (in effect) is take personal responsibility for EVERYTHING you've done, visible and not visible. This issue has been thoroughly debated here in the recent past.

OK,

The person who may install it (if I go that route) is a competant plumber. If I don't get a corgi person to check it, does it matter?

One plumber told me that BG keep records of the boiler and its serial number etc, and I'd need council permission (or at least notification) in order to install it.

I presume this would only be an issue when we move (5-10yrs time), or if we wanted another BG 3* contract later on. If not, why should I care.

OK this is presuming all the manufacturors guidelines are followed for installation etc.

I guess it would be sensible to get a powerflush of the system as well, BG included this on their quote and this was £200. Can this be done independantly?

I'm thinking all this in order to save myself the £800 if doing a self install instead of paying a corgi plumber to do it.

Is this Naive and stupid?

thanks again all.

NOt stupid, but not worth it.
Boiler is old enough to not be worth mending. Lots of work and wouldn't be cheap, once you did find the parts secondhand.
Your competent plumber will not know about Building regs part L or P, probably. Or gas of course.
Yes a powerflush would be a good idea on an old system like that. Daft not to, imho. I'd also convert it to a sealed system, which may cause weeps from rad valves - change them if so.
If you can get a W-Bosch condenser fitted, after a proper powerflush, for £1600, you're doing pretty well.
Do it all right and you'll have a Benchmark cert for the boiler and a confirmation from Corgi that the boiler was fitted by a pukka chap, for when you move.

ChrisR - thanks for the advice.

Questions:

> I'd also convert it to a sealed system

What do you mean by that? Not sure I understand

The £1600 will be for a standard, not a condensing boiler.

FYI all but 1 of the rads have TRV, is this relevant to the weeps you advise? Could it weep because of the flush or higher pressure?

futureechos said:
ChrisR - thanks for the advice.

Questions:

> I'd also convert it to a sealed system

What do you mean by that? Not sure I understand

The £1600 will be for a standard, not a condensing boiler.

FYI all but 1 of the rads have TRV, is this relevant to the weeps you advise? Could it weep because of the flush or higher pressure?

Not sure if you got these quotes before 2 /4/5 because from that date you are not given the choice on condensing or conventional boilers.....Prescott has already decided you will have a condenser (except in exeptional circumstances). If you have found an installer who is prepared to flout that reg I shudder to think what else he may decide to ignore.

I've had 2 independant corgi plumbers advise its ok to fit a standard boiler.

Apparently there is objection from DIY stores who supply standard boilers to trade who have stock etc, and for that reason the issue is still a bit 50 / 50.

Apparently CORGI themselves advised its ok to fit a standard boiler, (for the short term at least).

Then both of them are ignorant of the reg's.

Yes, we can still fit standard boilers, but only in exceptional circumstances and if the job in hand was booked prior to April 1 2005.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back