Potterton Netheat Profile 50e - No ignition when warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My Boiler is a Potterton Netheat Profile 50e. It was in the house when I bought it so could be ancient but has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years.

This only begun last night, prior to this the boiler has always worked fine and has not shown these symptoms before. I have also not changed anything as far as I am aware.

When cold, ie first thing in the morning, the boiler fires as normal and starts to heat the water or central heating. This boiler seems to extinguish for a minute or two every so often even though it still hasn't heated the water to temperature, but I think this is normal as I seem to remember it always doing this. When it tries to reignite after one of these pauses, the fan comes on as normal, I hear a ticking noise and the pilot light ignite as normal, but normally I then see the boiler fire up through the small window in the front. However, it does not do this. The pilot light remains on and the fan continues to blow. If I go outside and check the flue there is warmish air coming out but as the boiler cools again, the air obviously gets cooler.
It does not seem to stop for the pauses now either, but I am guessing it is not doing this because it does not feel it is getting how enough to warrant that pause.
Now if I turn the timer off and wait for a few hours, I am guessing until everything is cold again. I can get the boiler to work perfectly again, it ignites fine but only until it tries to make that first pause again.

HELP!!! Is it going to be expensive??? :confused:

I am guessing I will need to call an engineer, can anyone recommend one that will not fleece me in the Watford area? I have seen those consumer programs on TV and they have scared the bejesus out of me when it comes to boilers.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thx,
MaKS

Sponsored Links
if you call potterton out they will charge you a one off fee between £170-£275 depending on afe of boiler and they will fix the boiler including all parts needed and vat for this one off fee :LOL: also as we carry 90% of parts needed we should be able tofix it there and then :LOL:

you never know you might even be really lucky and get me :LOL:

Agile Services - Tony Glazier who graces this forum with his presense is near you but moves about a bit. I have emailed him to alert him to your plight!
One thing which would be worth your while finding out is which of the following gas valves you have.
Image9684.gif

If you slide the plasic bottom part forwards (undo single screw underneath) you'll see one of the above left of centre. Which one of those is it? Honeywell one has two bright red coils.

Fair chance it's the gas valve faulty, though could be APS, pcb, electrode, thermostat... All sorts come to think of it!

Thx for your replies guys.

ChrisR - It is definitely the "White Rodgers" gas valve. I'll wait see if Tony adds any comments to this thread.

Gaz - would that charge then include a service as well? I heard Potterton always charge a little bit more, is that true? I can't imagine the boiler being worth more than £275 :rolleyes:

How much is it normally for a regular service on a boiler that is working by a CORGI certified engineer? Is this something you should do annually?

MOD

see item 9

Sponsored Links
This is still on going - I have been on immersion heated water for a few weeks now.

agile came out a few weeks ago and changed the PCB to test and determined that it was definitely not at fault.

I have now spoken to a boiler parts place and they together with agile have confirmed that there are at least 2 gas valve types for my boiler. As per the question from chris above; Honeywell and White Rodgers.

I currently have the White Rodgers installed, but how likely is it that the Honeywell could be fitted as a direct replacement? They are much cheaper, you see. Anyone actually done this?

They can swapped baxi do a conversion kit, but a new gas valve is cheaper or even cheaper is replace soleniod coils available from hrpc http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html part no 415502 & 415504 also have known gas valve electrical conection on pcb have dry joint causing loss of power to gas valve when warm (wiggle gv connection when on if faulty will hear gas soleniods click on /off.).Aslo check flue and aps hoses return on aps hose also has restrictor fitted these can block up.

Being curious why is one called a redundant coill!??
The hrpc listing lists them as Keston parts, which seems odd, too.

they are the same soleniods coils don't why its called the redundant coil, one coil is larger than the other and when you look at a faulty one it looks like the casing is split, if you ask hrpc for the coils for the profile they will say unavailable( ie buy complete gas valve) unless you talk to the call centre guy whos been there years and full of usefull knowledge

I think that I can clarify!

The Keston 130 uses the White Rogers valve and evidently unlike Baxi/Potterton ( Bill Roe why not? ) Keston offer the solenoids as spare parts.

I will get a couple tomorrow if in stock locally. ( Not it turns out )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back