Potterton 50e flame cut-out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got a Potterton 50e. Since mid Noember, it has this problem - sometimes the flame goes off and does not re-light. Other times it goes off, but comes back on immediately on ignite.

When it goes off, the pilot light might stay on, but most time that also goes off. And the fan keeps turning, and gets louder and louder.

The only way to get it 'work' again is to turn off heating and hot water switches, and turn them on again. Then it re-ignites, and goes through the cycle of staying on, goes out, and might re-ignite. Some time the flame stays on for as long as 4 hours, and goes off for no reason, the fan keeps turning.

It may have succeeded to re-ignite during a long 'off' period but I was not there to witness it.

When I am there to wait for it to go off, sometimes I could hear a soft clicking sound that keeps clicking which I guess is ignition for the flame, but that does not come on. I waited a bit but no point waiting any longer with the clicking, but to turn it all off and on again.

When I turn it off and on again, it then takes quite a while (about 15 seconds) before pilot light comes on followed promptly by the flame. Usually the ignition is 1-2 seconds.

With this situation, it's difficult to recreate the problem. I did have a plumber visit but couldn't recreate the problem and he didn't want to guess at the problem and fix things that he shouldn't.

It's the same Potterton I reported problems about early 2012; that plumber got on the phone to Potterton and within a minute the other end told him what to replace, sounded like something pretty simple. With that, the boiler worked ok till now.

Anyone has suggestion what should I do as in what I suggest to plumbers?

David

Sponsored Links
Update - plumber replaced the air pressure switch early January. No significant improvement except the ignition takes shorter time (I said 15 seconds in first message).

Plumber did say it could be the switch, or the fan, or the vent(? air flow?)

Update - plumber replaced the air pressure switch early January. No significant improvement except the ignition takes shorter time (I said 15 seconds in first message).

Gas valve solenoid I would say if the fan is going sufficiently to keep the air pressure switch in place.

Sponsored Links

If you only asked him to replace the APS ( based on an internet suggestion from someone who had never seen the boiler ) then he did what was asked of him.

But it would be normal for him to correctly diagnose the fault before replacing parts on spec. and presumably at your cost.

Call him back!

We don't give DIY gas/combustion related advice on this forum!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back