Potterton performer 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im having a strange problem with my hot water which i feel has never been very hot. It now has developed a fault where it pulses between hot and tepid. I can see the flames rising and falling a bit. I have hoovered out all burners and jets used emry cloth on the flame sensor, checked the temp sensor which looks ok(still has elecrical contact gell on it) reduced incoming flow rate and had the gas sup checked and purged.The plate heat exchanger is a bit dirty, going to find a way of cleaning it. Hot Water seems to be more consistant if heating has been on. I am a electrian so if any one knows if components can be tested that would be better than just replacing things. But hoping some one has had simular problem and fixed it.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you just hear to send abuse if dont reply to me. i am after help and am fully aware of gas safe laws and regs as my GAS SAFE friend who is doing boiler had not come accross this problem i was hoping some one else had.

I have hoovered out all burners and jets used emry cloth on the flame sensor, checked the temp sensor which looks ok(still has elecrical contact gell on it) reduced incoming flow rate

where was your "FREIND" mentioned

:?:

I am a electrian

not gas fitter

not heating engineer

not boiler engineer

get an RGI in that knows what he is doing :idea:

Sponsored Links
I have hoovered out all burners and jets used emry cloth on the flame sensor, checked the temp sensor which looks ok(still has elecrical contact gell on it) reduced incoming flow rate and had the gas sup checked and purged.The plate heat exchanger is a bit dirty, going to find a way of cleaning it.

Thanks in advance.

One would have expected that as an electrician you would have understood that you should not be messing about with gas matters.

If it was not you then you should have made it clear that it was a gas safe person. Saying "I" means it was you!

Its difficult to understand how any RGI would not know how to repair the boiler. If he neeeds advice then he should register for a special RGI only part of this site called the Combustion Chamber where we can give advice on trade matters.

Tony

Write my friend was doing me a favour and i was doing the ground work asking as you tend to do on forums if any one else had had the same problem. May be i was wrong

Write my friend was doing me a favour and i was doing the ground work asking as you tend to do on forums if any one else had had the same problem. May be i was wrong

If your friend is unable to repair a simple boiler fault then he needs to learn more about fault finding to enable him to do his job properly.

He can ask about these things in the CC.

It may well just be a blocked plate heat exchanger which you can replace yourself as its not a gas or safety component.

Tony

Thank you Tony this was the type of advice i wanted, is there a way of cleaning it or are they just disposable (after 3 years)?

I think you are rather missing the point!

The dirt is from your system because it was not cleaned properly when the boiler was fitted.

They can be cleaned but many prefer to fit new ones. If you want to try cleaning thensearch this forum.

To prevent further problems the system may need cleaning or at the very least fitting a Magnaclean.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back