Potterton prima randomly turning on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I posted a few days ago with what I thought was a confroller problem. With some advise from someone on here I changed my old switchmaster for a hive mini. The hive is working fine but it hasn't fixed the original problem. My Potterton prima boiler fires up randomly when the heating/hot water is off. It can do it for a few seconds or just 1 second, sometime I just hear a noise like gas coming on but not igniting. I have to switch off the power to the boiler to stop it. Can anyone help please.

Sponsored Links
1. Might it have a built-in program, to exercise itself every so often, if it has no call for heat? My Vaillant does that.

2. Might it be triggered by the cold weather? If the boiler senses a temperature lower than 5C, some fire themselves up to protect themselves from freezing.

Thank you both for taking to time to reply, unfortunately I don't think it's either of those suggestions.

The fault dirs not sound like something that is meant to happen and happens regardless of the temperature. It happened last night when the house was 19 degrees.

The motorised valve is only a year old, I'm not discounting it because of that, I heard it close this morning as the heating turned off and the boiler stated its odd noises.

I should have given more detail. My system is and old gravity-fed one, so I have HW or HW and CH. It had been working fine until last week, because the boiler seems fine when CH or HW are on then I assumed (wrongly) that it was a control problem. Which is why I changed the old rotary dial switchmaster for a hive mini, but I still have the issue. This makes me think it's a problem with the boiler making it fire up without a signal from the controller.

Sponsored Links
Roger, but I don't think the moterised valve activates the heating. Rather it shuts off the heating when it's set to HW only.
No that is not how it should be wired, it is possible but very unusual to have gravity HW with a zone valve on the system, are you sure you have gravity HW ? post some pics of the boiler the pump and the pipes coming out of the top of your boiler

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Where is your pump wired into ? the boiler terminals or the Hive mini receiver terminals ?

So here you go. Top of boiler pipe work. I have a junction box, the controls (formally the switchmaster now hive) are wired into it. Live and neutral wired to the junction box via the controller Motorised valve to the junction box, junction box to the boiler. There is also a wire from the junction box going up stairs which a assume goes to the hot water tank. The pump is on the hot water and the motorised valve on the heating. I checked and I could hear the motorised valve close when I selected hot water without heating.
20221228_171417.jpg
20221228_171520.jpg
20221228_171604.jpg

As suspected you DO NOT have Gravity HW system, you have a botch, show a pic of the wiring in the boiler and the wiring centre and your hive , it is not wired correctly and not set correctly

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back