Potterton Profile 50E intermittant fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started this weekend, our boiler sometimes does not fire up on demand. The fan starts and continues to run correctly, and I can hear arcing/ sparking for up to 10 seconds from the vicinity of the PCB I think. Sometimes it lights, other times not. Last night it didn't want to work, but came on automtically this morning on the time switch. It's not overheating I don't think - I haven't had to press the red reset switch underneath, Nothing has been done recently to the boiler, it has been regularly serviced. I know all intermittant faults are hard to identify!! Potterton offered a 170 quid service to come out, identify and fix the problem, but if its a 2 quid part I would be gutted! (And xmas is coming!).
Can anyone identify the likely problem from my description, or suggest further simple tests I can do to narrow down the likely suspect component.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I would first check to see if the ignition lead from the pcb to the electrode is not cracked and shorting on any other part of the boiler.,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back