Potterton Profile 50e- output and sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What "size" in terms of kw is the 50e ? I know its an old boiler which is probably why I can't find any details in all the usual places.

When I had the unvented Megaflow system installed 4 years ago the engineer said it was worthwhile replacing it, when it fails, with a slightly larger power output, standard condensing boiler....combi not required of course.....

Many thanks

..OK just got a call back from Potterton...took a few days but they were very nice I have to say. My boiler is a 50k btu...15kw boiler. They recommended a 20kw..ie slightly bigger to allow for the loft conversion...as modern boilers modulate, which is what I have read here of course...but added that going too much bigger would just cost more money than required...ie 30kw boiler operating "at" 15-18kw...and never more would be a waste of money.

Thinking of the Vailliant or Bosh equivilents

Sponsored Links
14.65Kw.

If you go for a Vaillant, this can be range rated to match your exact needs.

Cheers Dave.

I like the look of the Vaillant as well. Both makes have good reputations. I presume common sense applies in that there is not much economic sense in getting a 30kw boiler and range adjusting down to 18kw or so..? The boys from Bosch gave me the same tip as well but I wouldn't want to go too close to what I have now as I think I am probably at its realistic limit. Mind you I have never had a problem with CH response or HW replacement in the cylinder being slow. We have 1 bathroom and 1 onsuite...and its extremely rare that both are going at the same time

So something like the 618 or even the 624 would give me more than enough ?

ecoMax or eco tec I guess and having a megaflow unvented system a system boiler ?

Ecomax are no longer available, so only Eco tec Plus now.

Go for the Vaillant Unistor un-vented cylinder, fit a VR65 control centre, VR10 ntc and a VRT 360 programmable stat and all heating and hot water will be controlled from room stat on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Ah...I've already got the unvented bit Dave....its just the boiler thats still pre industrial revolution....

Ah...I've already got the unvented bit Dave....its just the boiler thats still pre industrial revolution....

Dave will love me for this..... fit a Worcestor Greenstar 24.

Dave

Its an interesting battle...both are good and both companies are playing the long warranty game...3 years with Vaillant if installed by a Vaillant engineer....and 5 years with the Worcester...if "you've" got Homecare or similar its all the same after a point I guess.

My current Potterton 50e has been in situ for nearly 18 years and its still going strong. System was flushed and treated 4 years ago and it seems a shame to rip out a perfectly good piece of kit before I have to.....

My old mum has a profile 100e, i gave it a flush and a magnaclean last summer, seems to be fine. the Magnaclean found quite a lot of black sediment even after the initial chemical clean.

something to think about:

if you think your '50 is only just powerful enough, check your insulation. in my house I have a 22kW boiler which when I moved in I found was undersized, but I then had cavity wall insulation put in, and it became more than enough (I later topped up the loft as well)

Its a very good point.

There's no doubt to me that the 50e is coping well in terms of hot water and rad heat. Both get to temp very quickly...but I do have cavity wall insulation, double glazing and a heavily insulated, to regs, loft conversion. Should never underplay the benefit of those additions when upgrading heating.

I think the unvented installer thought the, very small, extra two rads in the loft would push the 50e to its limits...but he was happy when he finished that it was coping well..I don't think he would have left it if it wasn't..good guy.

Where did you get the 3 years from for a Vaillant warranty?

The standard is 2 years who ever fits it, unless it is an Ecotec exclusive.

If it's long warranty your after then go for Worcester, Vaillant are way behind in this area :cry:

But then you probably need a long warranty for a Worcester :LOL: (sorry Dave, just had to get that one in:cool: )

The 3 years was actually from an installer ad....presumably the extra year is his own or insurance. Good idea though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back