Potterton Puma 100e lockout issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Puma 100e installed in 2000. It's been maintained by BG since then and has various bits replaced by them.

Before Xmas it was locking out occasionally and we called out BG, but it was working fine when the engineer got here. They replaced the electrodes (which looked pretty worn), but it continued to be problematic. Another engineer then visited and replaced the pressure valve, again with the system working and him unable to replicate the fault. Finally a third engineer visited and replaced the pump, but then told me that he had instructions from his boss that no more work was to be done because they suspect that the system is dirty and that is what is causing the (now frequent) lockouts. They have quoted over £1100 inc VAT for a powerclean and a magnetic filter and have said they will not attend until this is done. The boiler is still doing exactly what it was, ie failing to fire when cold and locking out, but working fine after 1, 2 or 3 attempts at reset.

I have two questions. Firstly, has anyone come across this type of issue before and have BG diagnosed the problem correctly? Secondly, is it likely that the powerflush will be effective and give us a few more years of use or should we bite the bullet and get a new boiler?

Sponsored Links
I would get a local engineer in to have a look, I think you ill be pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper a power flush will be, if required.

An independent engineer does not have shareholders or an overpaid MD to support!

I doubt the cause is dirt.

There are many possibilities and just need correctly diagnosing! Gas settings come to mind!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back