potterton puma 100e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just recieved a gas bill from bg for £380 who say that over a 63 day period i used 1080 units, the amount of units is correct as per meter and the meter readings are correct. My problem is this for a 26 day period just before this bill i used 45 units, i have been reading the meter on a daily basis since and am only using maybe 3 units per day.I found bills from last year and only used 615 units in 306 days.can anyone tell me if there is a problem with potterton puma 100e which would make it use excessive amounts of gas and then rectify itself and go to reasonable usage many thanks

Sponsored Links
Nothing I can think of that you wouldn't notice such as a hot tap dripping fast of room stat and programmer calling for heat 24 hrs a day :rolleyes: Are you sure meter readings are 100% correct and that it is not an estimated previous bill that is now 'catching up'?

You could ask to have your meter checked but as it now appears to be working ok I doubt this would prove anything :rolleyes:

BG are at present on a policy of installing new meters at their supplied properties as they want to own the meters themselves. Maybe you could ask for a new one ;)

gas4you said:
Nothing I can think of that you wouldn't notice such as a hot tap dripping fast of room stat and programmer calling for heat 24 hrs a day :rolleyes: Are you sure meter readings are 100% correct and that it is not an estimated previous bill that is now 'catching up'?

You could ask to have your meter checked but as it now appears to be working ok I doubt this would prove anything :rolleyes:

BG are at present on a policy of installing new meters at their supplied properties as they want to own the meters themselves. Maybe you could ask for a new one ;)

if you ask for a meter to be checked and they find nowt wrong with they WILL charge you for their time

but that said listen to gas

Sponsored Links
A friend of mines had a faulty E6 (digital) meter which was measuring the gas wrong and the tenant in the property had some stupidly high gas bill. Might be worth calling the gas transporter...

Friend of mine had a similar problem.
He'd have to have his boiler on 10 hours every day to use what the bill says.
So it couldn't happen. But it did.

Then we found that the upstairs flat's boiler was connected to the same meter.

thanks to everyone who replied all the points you have made i have also made,it is a new meter,and i have spoken to them about a test and as you say chances are no fault will be found,it looks like i`ll have to bite the bullet and have the test done,does the test give a daily readout of gas used at least then i may be able to pin it down to a day when things went haywire,again many thanks ,too many tradesmen have a bad name its nice to know their not all the same

Not retrospectively no - you'll have to take daily readings from now on.

The test would be a on-off rate test as I understand it.

A lot of people are realising they use more gas than they thought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back