Potterton Puma 80e CH not coming on intermittently.HW fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently the house has been unusually cold and on closer inspection it turned out that although the thermostat had asked for CH, the Puma 80e combi boiler had not fired up.
The HW works every time (well it fires up and works as it normally does).

Yesterday I wiggled a few wires (with it turned off), turned it on and it started again. Today, it failed again. I put a volt meter between live and neutral to measure the voltage for the 'room stat swi'(as per manual). There was a spark or two and it fired up and started working! I didnt get a reading as I jumped back!

Although its working now Im pretty sure that it hasnt suddenly started working fully and Im worried it will not fire up next time.

Any ideas please?

Tc

Sponsored Links
There was a spark or two and it fired up and started working! I didnt get a reading as I jumped back!

exactly what setting was your meter on! :confused:

Chances are the modulation board has a few dry joints.

Try removing the pcb and look at the back, top left corner of board for dry/fractured solder joints

Sponsored Links
thanx guys.

My meter was set to volts and Ive never had that happen before!! It sparked and i could smell burning! I was shocked (not literally) but pleased it kicked into life!

Tc

PCB - broken solder joint. Middleish top edge connecotors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back