Potterton suprema boiler heating not working but water is ok..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have the above boiler and whilst it's not a very good one, it has done myself quite well until now. I noticed not long after having a Quartz shower installed that something in the airing cupboard was making a humming/buzzing noise normally not long after the heating/water has been on for a long time. I also noticed that putting on thr heating manually for 1hr, 2hrs or constant wasn't working unless the water was on at the same time..

Anyway, now I have no heating. I noticed that a couple of the radiators were luke warm after I reset the boiler, turned the thermostat up and the gas dial thing (on the boiler). I also turned the ermergen (whatever its called) on and that also made a couple of radiators warm. Assume a coincidence? I also have found that control panel for the water/heating switches are very sticky. But don't think has anything to do with it.

I also turned a switch on some black think in the airing cupboard (shows I, II, II) which looks to control water speed? Well I switched this too.

Now on closer inspection I think it could be the white (is it the diverter valve) thing in the airing cupboard making the humming noise. My guess is that this has packed up?

Suggestions? I was going to buy this diverter value (but about £200) and also look at getting a tado for the water and heating.

Hot water is fine though..

Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh, and on the white diverter value (if it is this) there is a switch (cant read the label) for manual override, which when pulled across the water light goes off...

Sponsored Links
I probably do, but with such scant information, I had little to go on from behind a keyboard. That's why with over 70 views, no one has come up with any answer.

1/
I also noticed that putting on thr heating manually for 1hr, 2hrs or constant wasn't working unless the water was on at the same time..
This probably confirms third point...

2/
I also turned a switch on some black think in the airing cupboard (shows I, II, II) which looks to control water speed? Well I switched this too.
This is the system pump, leave it at the speed it was originally.

3/
Now on closer inspection I think it could be the white (is it the diverter valve) thing in the airing cupboard making the humming noise. My guess is that this has packed up?
This sounds like the actuator; this turns the 3-port valve on which it is mounted, they can sometimes be removed without a drain. Come back with a photo of it.

Right, had a bit of a play and read online. I have set the slider on the diverted to manual so tomorrow morning i will see if the ch works.
Going back to my first post, the ch only works when the hw comes on so I'm thinking its a faulty programmer unit....
Think I'll replace this for a Tado first then look at the diverter...

If the white one then it's potterton

Is this "the white one"?... http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...v322-mpe328-msv328-p-122.html?search=actuator

If yes remove it from the valve body (two flat-head bolts), turn spindle to mid position and see what happens when CH comes on.
I've moved the position to manual (not disconnected it) and all seems to be working.
Ive read that the Honeywell one will replace the potterton? Easy to fit the whole thing (inc 3 pipes)?
Going to replace control panel and thermostat too as the heating isn't working by itself when manually set..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back