Potterton Suprima 60L fault please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Woke up today and was a little cold, put on the heating and water together as normal, but the boiler was firing up for say around 5 seconds and then cutting out over and over until just red lockout..

If I held the reset It would fire up again and then just keeps cutting out..There was no hot water for a shower so I reset again and just put the water on and It's now stayed on and the water is heating up, as soon as I flick the switch for heating though I get the shutting down and firing back up! No prblems with shutting down and starting back up if just heating up the water only is on.

Is there simple things I can check ? Or is it a call out job ? I've read alot of people have replaced the pcb, which I'm sure I can do if anyone thinks that it could be that Plus from a legal view am I allowed to open and change the pcb not being Corgi approved ?

Many thanks in advance for any help...

Sponsored Links
Sorry fella, sounds like you need a new PCB, its got the exact symptons. Do a search for Suprima PCB and you will know what I mean. Its a well known fault with the boiler.

Cheers for the reply, just left the heating and water off for about 45mins, put heating back on and no cut outs !! plus rads are now hot !!

Now knowing that the things on it's last legs was going to get the british gas breakdown cover, can anyone tell me what level of cover I need to avoid paying for any parts when it goes pete-tong for good ?

hardly on its last legs. suprima is a good boiler except for the pcb and if you replace that you shouldnt have any more problems unless your system is sludged up. suprima is one of those boilers that is likely to go on and on until there are no parts left.

you could replace the pcb yourself, you get very good instructions with the kit, just be aware you have to change the entire wiring loom if its not been done already.

you could get BG out on a fixed price deal and they will change it for you, around £180 depending on your postcode, the pcb is around £130 anyway.

Sponsored Links
you could get BG out on a fixed price deal and they will change it for you, around £180 depending on your postcode, the pcb is around £130 anyway.

Where do you get your PCBS nicks?

130 quid is way cheap
:)

Where do you but your PCBS nicks?

130 quid is way cheap
:)

lol, i was waiting for this. thats the price BG get them at. :oops: i have to admit i dont know what the real price is so i took a guess :LOL:

I think we pay about 190 odd but am not too sure

retail price is about 225

wish we could all get BG prices

:):)

That is the old version on ebay.

There is more to a Suprima PCB and the faults that occur than meets the eye.

Those who say it is dry joints are only half way there, there are temp regulation design faults on the board, thus the Watchdog TV stuff etc.

Potterton had to create a whole new PCB - now manufactured by Siemens - to address the fault after lots of revisions that didn't work properly in the field.

Sure you can buy recon old pattern boards from ebay but there are ways of making them stop locking out that are not going to protect the boiler properly in a real overheat situation. And that was why Baxi bit the bullet and had a new PCB designed.

As ever, you pays your money takes your choice.

Can anyone confirm that if I get the new design Siemens pcb, is it a case of just unscrew the old pcb and take out the connectors to the board and screw in the siemens and then re-plug in the connectors to the Siemens board...??

I know if I just get the same board it's a simple unscrew take out connections and then reversal of take out, but need to confirm if the siemens is the same..

Also is it worth taking out the pcb I have, and running a heatgun over it to attempt the reflow the solder ? I done a reflow on the motherboard of my xbox360 and it's now fine, but not sure if it would work on this type of pcb ? has anyone attempted this successfully ?

new modified board is not a straight swop for old style (2 light) board.
The board suffered from electronic faults oppossed to dry joints.
Heatteam do a fixed price repair with years cover, priced on postcode, usually around £200 mark

new modified board is not a straight swop for old style (2 light) board.
The board suffered from electronic faults oppossed to dry joints.
Heatteam do a fixed price repair with years cover, priced on postcode, usually around £200 mark

Round my way it is usually £299 :eek:

The new PCB involves changing the wiring loom and this involves work inside the combustion chamber which is CORGI territory !

A BG fixed price repair is a very good deal if the PCB is failed.

Having said that I am not yet convinced that the fault is really a PCB !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back