Potterton Suprima 60l - HW but no CH - PCB check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When our house was built in 1999, it was fitted with a potterton suprima 60L. It has been fine until about 2 months ago when we encountered the red flashing light problem constantly for about 3 weeks. Pressed the reset button and fine for a day. Contacted engineer and he said it is the PCB without visiting (I can see why from the number of forum's on this!) and would be £400 to fix. The next day the boiler started working fine.

Last two days, the HW was been fine but the CH refuses to come on unless the boiler is heating up the HW. If I empty the HW by leaving the tap on the CH then comes on for a short period of time until the HW tank is filled up and then the CH goes off again.

Before, I get the PCB replaced. Would the CH problem be related to the PCB flashing or do I have two problems?

Also, is the PCB easy to fit and do you get instructions with the part.

Any help gratefully appreciated,

Simon

Sponsored Links
You have two problems the heating problem is because the motor in your motorized valve actuator is not making the microswitches and needs replacing, the resets is probably the pcb.

Cheers for the prompt response. That's what I feared. What's a motorized valve actuator, where can it be found, is it cheap to replace and is it easy to fit?

its one of these or something similar:

honeywell3portv.jpg

and the motor inside is one of these:

syncromotor.jpg

Make sure the power is fully isolated before you change it unless you like a bit of a jump start.

Sponsored Links
Or it could be the microswitch only thats is at fault. in which case changing the motor does not resolve the problem.
Now if you fit a replacment actuator head it does solve it, but the cost is around £40.
You should be able to remove the head from the spindle and held upside down observe the quadrant that locates on the spindle moving as you try various demands. This way you will know if it's going the full amount, if it's not then motor at fault, if it is then microswitch at fault.
Also using finger and thumb you should be able to turn spindle very easily.
It is harder work for the motor to overcome the return spring plus any stiffness in the spindle.
Actuator for a honywell valve removed and replaced about 30 mins (easy)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The one I fitted was a ACT322 which had two indicator lights, I can't recall any other outstanding feature.
I think the cost was just over £38 from plumb centre.
In my case the motor was ok but the problem was the micro switch.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi has anybody actually had a potterton suprima 60L boiler fixed with the red flashing light problem? my boiler has been in for 4 years and for the last few months it keeps cutting out. i get no heating in this awful cold weather or hot water, keep having to reset it. sometime it won't reset and goes off completely. i do remember seeing this reported on watchdog sometime ago that was on a new housing estate and a lot of the new houses had same boiler and all had the problem. it turned out to be a computer chip board in the boiler. i am going to try to write to potterton.

Hi has anybody actually had a potterton suprima 60L boiler fixed with the red flashing light problem? my boiler has been in for 4 years and for the last few months it keeps cutting out. i get no heating in this awful cold weather or hot water, keep having to reset it. sometime it won't reset and goes off completely. i do remember seeing this reported on watchdog sometime ago that was on a new housing estate and a lot of the new houses had same boiler and all had the problem. it turned out to be a computer chip board in the boiler. i am going to try to write to potterton.

I had a red flashing light on the box in the cupboard with my hot water tank. Searched all the forums for a solution. Could not afford to call someone out. Today the radiators did not heat up. I checked the room thermostat and found the screen blank. Rang friends for Duracell AA Plus batteries. Replaced all four batteries. The radiators came on. As an afterthought before going to bed I checked the box in the cupboard. The red flashing light is off. The light is green. Is this the answer to the red flashing light? Is it a warning that the batteries in the room thermostat are running low? In my case it was. I hope this helps someone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back