Potterton Suprima 70L Non condensing conventional gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All ,

I'm new to this , so apologies if already been covered .

Have a Potterton Suprima 70L boiler which has always run at max temp using single black dial inside control panel as originally advised by fitter .

Due to the cost of living / fuel crisis can I save money by turning down somewhat , and what is the ultimum recommended setting for both efficiency and cost ?

From what I've read, it's minimum setting is 57°c and it's max 82°c.

Govt are advising turning boiler temperature down to 60°c to save money ? If I turn dial down I'm guessing it will take longer to heat radiators or they won't be as hot , so it seems I may lose effectiveness of heating our very cold/damp house in order to possibly save a few quid ? On the other hand , is running it on max just wasting unnecessary gas which escapes from the outside flue as its a conventional non condensing boiler ?

The water temp is set at 60°c as far as I know off a seperate controller on side of water tank .

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks .

X

Attachments

• 16696626761942902078944144185276.jpg
    16696626761942902078944144185276.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links
Hi Andrew .

Not sure quite what you mean but there's a hot water tank in the downstairs airing cupboard and a red expansion vessel connected to the boiler if that helps? Everything runs off the gas boiler but I believe the water temperature in the tank has its own temperature control on the side set to 60°c.

X

As often happens the Gov advice can get a bit muddled.

A condensing boiler works more efficiently with a lower flow temperature.

Your old non condensing boiler is only slightly more efficient with a lower flow temperature.

The Gov advice should also say turn down your room thermostat to about 19C and learn to live with a lower room temperature and wear a pullover to feel more comfortable.

Sponsored Links
To heat the hot water to 60C you really need your boiler flow set a little higher and at perhaps 65-70C.

But you could probably lower your hot tank setting to 55C without noticing any difference. Then the boiler flow to about 65C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back