Pound gone up.

Now the pound is on a more meaningful rise...

Why?

Because a 'new referendum' document has been circulated around today's talks in the context of 'wtf do we do next'!

Timetable said to be too long to accept atm, but it wasn't there at all yesterday...

Slowly slowly, catchee monkey ;)

All while Corbyn has spat his dummy out over TM refusing to rule out a no deal scenario. Weird that.

Sponsored Links
yes, let's just check what happened when the referendum went "out"

PoundDrops.jpg

And now it's even lower.

Hooray for Brexit, eh?

It was two years ago, and is still today, even lower.

If Theresa's much-hated scheme is dumped, it will either improve (if we get a good co-operative deal with EU27) or will plummet (if the crazy No-dealers get their way).

Sponsored Links
It was two years ago, and is still today, even lower.

The financial collapse did more damage to the pound in 2008 by comparison to the EU Ref. It's irrelevant now what it was in 2007 too.

The financial collapse did more damage to the pound in 2008 by comparison to the EU Ref. It's irrelevant now what it was in 2007 too.
But it kind of tells you which currency is more trusted in a time of crisis ;)

All while Corbyn has spat his dummy out over TM refusing to rule out a no deal scenario. Weird that.
Markets are still factoring in that a 'no-deal' is a decreasing possibility, although Corbyn is indeed playing a silly game at this time!

It's always better to be in the situation of being able to influence events rather than standing on the sideline...

Sounding familiar?

The financial collapse did more damage to the pound in 2008...…. It's irrelevant .
Quite so. However, the threat of Brexit, especially a 'no deal' brexit was relevant two years ago and is equally as relevant now. The mere mention of 'no deal' and the pound sinks. And it will go on being relevant. Just as when there is news that the UK shows signs of cooperation with the EU - the pound gains.

Surely you are not that dim sammi?

I think he's being a cock. I don't think she has the power to issue a 'no deal' refusal.
I dont think Corbyn can actually come off the fence as he is worried about the Labour vote.

I cant help thinking Corbyn could put his weight behind a peoples referendum and have a great deal of support.

I suppose its all about numbers, would enough Tory MPs vote for it.....I think they would

What happens if a second referendum throws up the same result as the first,will remainers and the EU respect it.

second referendum

The next referendum (which will be the third) has a modest chance of offering the voters an actual option, rather than an undescribed outcome, with nobody knowing what it is. It will have to do that if people are to respect it and to be able to say they are doing what the nation voted for.

So it might say "Do you want (1) to leave the EU, with no trade agreements, no agreements on movement of people and capital, no agreements on preferential terms with the EU27, border posts, customs duties, a hard border in Ireland, no right to move between EU countries, conforming to EU regulations for trade in goods and services with the EU, and no influence or power on EU regulations or laws?"

"Or do you want (2) to leave the EU, with trade agreements giving low cost, barrier-free trade in goods and services, no customs duties, an open border in Ireland, limited rights for workers to move between each others countries, conforming to EU regulations and some laws but having no say in making them, and pay a fee for access?"

"Or do you want (3) to be in the EU, with trade agreements giving low cost, no barrier-free trade in goods and services, limited rights for workers to move between each others countries, an open border in Ireland, conforming to EU regulations and having a major voice, and votes, in setting the regulations and laws, paying a membership fee and receiving EU grants, loans and subsidies?"

You'll be aware that Brextremists refuse to articulate what outcome they are offering. So Parliament will have to do it.

Parliament, which has supreme power in the UK, might decide not to offer voters option (1) on the grounds that it would be catastrophic for the nation.

The next referendum might be held next year, or it might be held in a few years time, when the Brexers will mostly not be voting. As yet, nobody knows.

Referendums held after the next one will probably have some constitutional rules added, such as "to change the status quo, at least X% of the electorate must cast valid votes, and any constitutional change must achieve at least Y% of the votes, otherwise things will remain as they are." This is quite common in countries that have referendums, since it avoids the wasteful flip-flopping between 51/49 votes and 49/51 votes.

The next referendum (which will be the third) has a modest chance of offering the voters an actual option, rather than an undescribed outcome, with nobody knowing what it is. It will have to do that if people are to respect it and to be able to say they are doing what the nation voted for.

So it might say "Do you want (1) to leave the EU, with no trade agreements, no agreements on movement of people and capital, no agreements on preferential terms with the EU27, border posts, customs duties, a hard border in Ireland, no right to move between EU countries, conforming to EU regulations for trade in goods and services with the EU, and no influence or power on EU regulations or laws?"

"Or do you want (2) to leave the EU, with trade agreements giving low cost, barrier-free trade in goods and services, no customs duties, an open border in Ireland, limited rights for workers to move between each others countries, conforming to EU regulations and some laws but having no say in making them, and pay a fee for access?"

"Or do you want (3) to be in the EU, with trade agreements giving low cost, no barrier-free trade in goods and services, limited rights for workers to move between each others countries, an open border in Ireland, conforming to EU regulations and having a major voice, and votes, in setting the regulations and laws, paying a membership fee and receiving EU grants, loans and subsidies?"

You'll be aware that Brextremists refuse to articulate what outcome they are offering. So Parliament will have to do it.

Parliament, which has supreme power in the UK, might decide not to offer voters option (1) on the grounds that it would be catastrophic for the nation.

The next referendum might be held next year, or it might be held in a few years time, when the Brexers will mostly not be voting. As yet, nobody knows.

Referendums held after the next one will probably have some constitutional rules added, such as "to change the status quo, at least X% of the electorate must cast valid votes, and any constitutional change must achieve at least Y% of the votes, otherwise things will remain as they are." This is quite common in countries that have referendums, since it avoids the wasteful flip-flopping between 51/49 votes and 49/51 votes.
As predicted,,the moaners will have more refs until they win,then they will make more refs illegal or much more difficult to over turn.

Sadly the Brexers can't agree what it is they want. They've had over 40 years and still not managed it. Not much chance of them agreeing in the next year either. Yet they think the country should do what Brexers want. Without knowing what it is. They think that a vote would be undemocratic if it lets the citizens choose.

I think the Times said something today.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ows-record-12-point-lead-for-remain-cdj6xj3g0

The whole Brexit fiasco was just an internal Tory party squabble that got out of hand. It still is. And the rest of us are suffering from their stupidity.

The whole Brexit fiasco was just an internal Tory party squabble that got out of hand. It still is. And the rest of us are suffering from their stupidity.
But another ref willmake it all better?

I dont think Corbyn can actually come off the fence as he is worried about the Labour vote.

I cant help thinking Corbyn could put his weight behind a peoples referendum and have a great deal of support.

I suppose its all about numbers, would enough Tory MPs vote for it.....I think they would

Whichever party supports a second referendum will feel it at the next election. Also I am thinking a second referendum will still be too close to call.

Some of the quitters will be swayed by the extra information but those who never reasoned their way into their leave vote won't be reasoned out of it. You could say that EU will unleash a horde of zombies and they would still say it's worth it- some have suspended reality and are now in some sort of psychosis.

Sponsored Links
Back