Pouring Concrete Steps - Rebar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished the shuttering for some steps I'm making in the garden. Its just a small flight measuring 1mtr wide x 70cm high. They consist of 3 steps with a 13" tread. MOT1 Base nice and solid.

Won't be pouring the concrete now until the spring but my question is do I need to add any rebar.

It's not cheap but is it essential for a small flight of steps such as these?

Sponsored Links
No need for rebar, no. Your biggest challenge will be future protection of the 'toe' edge of the step and getting a decent finish on the conc' surface. Are you intending cladding the treads in brick/slab and rendering the risers?

My policy is to only specify re-bar for dams and bridges, not garden steps.

For the toe issue mentioned by noseall, if the concrete is exposed and will be walked on, use a finer and stronger mix for the top 30mm or so - "granno" or fine washed stone, and trowel and pat the surface hard to give it the strength it will need.

Again, if exposed, brush the surface with a bass broom after trowelling.

Thanks for the replies lads. Have bought a trowel to give a rounded edge on the front edge of the steps and planning on doing a brush finish to the treads, wont be cladding them at all just pull the shuttering away and hope for a perfect finish lol. Got a feeling I will have to render the risers and sides.

Sponsored Links
just pull the shuttering away and hope for a perfect finish

I rebuilt some steps in my garden a bit more than three years ago, where the concrete is the riser and the front third to a quarter of the tread. I used plywood shuttering and coated it with concrete mould oil (from Travis Perkins) and everything came away fine.

I am far from an expert and I don't know if this was really necessary. I regarded it as insurance. The garden is very steep and the steps were over half way down. So all the materials had to be carried down and I wanted it to be okay at the first attempt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back