Power for Kitchen Appliances?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations for switching on power to my washing machine and dishwasher which are full size models (not integrated), and will be housed in a custom made cabinet?

Currently the cable is fed through a hole in the worktop and I plug this into a nearby socket and switch on when needed. If left plugged in the standby light remains on both appliances. Is there a better way to have these connected to the power and switched by a separate switch on the wall or something?

I'd also like to apply the technique to switch on some plinth lights which will be running off a transformer.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
One good way is to have a 20A DP switch with neon above the worktop, feeding an unswitched socket outlet directly below.

For things like cooker hoods and pelmet lamps that are fixed to the wall and do not benefit from a plug, use an FCU with (e.g.) a 3A or 5A fuse, feeding a flex outlet above.

You can lay out these switches and FCUs in a row with the socket outlets that you will also have above the worktop. The cable can run horizontally between them, which is economical in labour and materials.

Some regulations apply to electrical work in Kitchens and bathrooms in England and Wales (there is a very informative post on here ....).

edited - here it is //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=327999#327999

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back